Thread: Boxee Box Media Steamer is having Constant buffering while streaming .MKV files

Boxee Box Media Steamer is having Constant buffering while streaming .MKV files

I am having a Boxee Box media streamer and the problem that I am facing is that I am having constant buffering while streaming .MKV files to it from NAS.I have noticed that the boxee stops the movies for some seconds and then starts buffering again. I will like to add that I have the boxee connected to a wireless N network and it gets it content from Qnap TS-259 Pro+ NAS.Is there anyone who has faced the same problem and has an idea about it. Any suggestion regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Boxee Box Media Steamer is having Constant buffering while streaming .MKV files

I have came across this problem in a no of forum and what I have found is that the problem was basically solved after updating their firmware .Just check if it is working for you as well but if it does not work then I think that there might be load in your network .You can also try to stream the .MKV files VLC and try to find out if it is making any difference if the .MKV is 1080 or 720.Just see if the above solutions make any changes and let me know if it does not help so I can suggest you with some other solution to solve this out. Best of luck.

Re: Boxee Box Media Steamer is having Constant buffering while streaming .MKV files

I think that this problem is because you are streaming wireless and it also depends on the size of the file as well. I have faced the same kind of problem with my PS3 where I was not able to stream anything and it used to lag and buffer most of the time. In order to avoid this kind of problem I will suggest you to copy your files on a USB hard drive and then connect it to Boxee and then you won’t any such problem. I am very sure about this solution as I have checked it myself and it really works but then as I said before that it depends on the size of the file as well. I mean I have tried up with 15GB file by now and I hardly had any problem in streaming but I don’t have an idea about the files having a size greater than this.

I have got the Boxee for streaming movies from my NAS and that too without using any kind of wires. So I really find it weird to copy the files in to a HDD by connecting it to the Boxee. If I wanted to do that than I would have peform this with my tv. I think that the Boxee is made to stream .MKV files both 720 and 1080 wireless as well. I think that there should be a good solution for this and the Boxee developers should really come up with a solution for it as well. If there is a size issue then why am I able to stream the same size of file and even bigger than them to the VlC. I think that this is a serious issue with the Boxee software or the hardware. I really hope that the developers come up with a solution soon.

I will like to inform the people that the 1080p over wifi is really a crappy thing as it depends upon the size and the reception as well. I think that just pushing the bandwidth to the limit will really not work till they make the conditions optimal for the same. I know thy wired ftw was really a headache in order to put the pins in the holes an all but it is really a worth to do so when you just don’t face any kind of buffering problem. What we had to do there is just press the play button and then in just a second it starts playing well without any buffering and all. I personally think that the power line is better than the wireless at least for having wifi for 1080p.If possible people who are irritated of this problem can switch to a wired network

I don’t think that the wired connection is better than the wireless connection. I mean that they can win to deliver the best speed but that does not make them better. What I think is that the WiFi antennas are not same especially for the internal ones. The antennas sometimes differ even they are in the same location. I have experienced that there is a big difference between the transfer rates of 2 different devices which have the different antennas and tuners even though on the same WLAN.I have heard that the Boxee Box have also provided an option of external antenna as well but I have not yet came across the response of it. If you want you can check it out.

Yes I have also experienced the same.I have my boxee placed near the tv and on the other hand my laptop is near the tv as well as I have placed it on a table just to check out the difference as they both are connected to the same WAP. What I have found is while streaming to the Boxee failed where as streaming to the VLC on my laptop was working well. I had made sure that there is no other device active on the network as well. I have also tested it by streaming it with small size file(.MKV 1080 file )as well as with large file(.MKV 1080 file ) but the problem appeared to be the same without making any kind of difference but when I test the same with .MKV 720 file then it works fine with just a small buffering in the start.

I have tried to fix the buffering issues which are related to the mkv clips and encoding. I have also tried to process data while streaming standalone files over the network as well and I have find a no of root causes and I also wanted to ask you all that is your boxee box able to connect to the 802.11g or 802.11n? because I think that this is some kind of bug which is not identified by many and I also let me know that you are getting the same spot every time or you are getting it on different spots.