Thread: How to make the boxee play 10-Bit H.264 encoded videos.

How to make the boxee play 10-Bit H.264 encoded videos.

I have got a boxee box and I just wanted to know if there is any to the decoders in boxee in order to make it the boxee play 10-Bit H.264 encoded videos. I mean I have come across VLC and MPlayer2 which are capable of supporting it but I have not yet found any kind of reference for this. Is there anyone who has a idea about it and can help me out as well. Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to make the boxee play 10-Bit H.264 encoded videos.

What I have found is that it is a good solution but then it is having a very minimal support and I will like to inform you that it is not even supported in mainline VLC and the XBMC by now but I am quite sure that it works with nightlies. We should definitely mark this to the Boxee team and they should really work upon it as well. I think that the boxee wi ll soon make it way into the VLC, XBMC, and ffmpeg's decoding libraries as well.

I have come across many forums where people have clearly mentioned that the boxee ca not play 10-Bit H.264 encoded videos. Only Plex and XBMC are supporting it.They have also mentioned that there is some kind of compatibility problem with the hardware acceleration like DXVA or VDPAU because of which it is very difficult and it might not be working with the similar hardware acceleration in the Boxee Box.So I think that a straight away answer to your question is no.I mean that it is not possible to make the boxee play 10-Bit H.264 encoded videos by now.

Yes even I have found that by now no groups have been able to switched over but there are some anime codes that have tried to start the switch over and looking at this even I am willing to check it out for anime encodes I have. I think that the only reason for this is that the Hi10p is not compatible with the gpu acceleration by now as it is new but I have not yet came across any statement where they have mentioned that they will not support Hi10p.If you have really found one then I will request you to share the link with us as well.

I have already seen most of the anime on the Boxee Box by now. What I have found by now is that the anime fansubbers keeps changing to the latest edge encoding techniques in order to get the minimal gains in most of the cases .When I was having the WDTV Live as my main media player I have came across a lot of mess in the header compression. It really did no worked well whenever I used to try to play a header compression file and it was also not playing any other video as well and so I have to unplug it and restart it for several times to get it work. I have found that the HTPCs with XBMC and Boxee Box are now very popular as compared to what they were in the past so it is very difficult to get it dropped now unless a lot of user complains about it.

I think that they hard care about the complains .I don’t have patience and I have already tried to search alternative for it .I mean I have tried making a PC just for this but then I have been facing some problem in getting the direct audio stream with the HDMI It is like the same problem we have been facing with the HW media players .I have found that most of the media files are anime and they have been found to be incompatible with the Boxee Box as well. I have also come across fansub groups have been leading in using the fancy encoding techniques and this technique has been adopted by the 'regular' TV show as well.

I have found that this has been mostly spread amongst the isolated anime groups and I have not yet came across any semi-professional encoders making the big feature film archive-quality using the 0-bit in any capacity and this because that the majority of the hardware decoders are not supporting the 10-bit decoding and the only advantage of using the 10-bit is basically reducing the file size and as they HDD’S are now so cheap they hardly are tending to use the 10-bit in any capacity but I really appreciate the groups that are trying to push the boundaries in updating their hardware and software to support the coming future formats but then I really doubt that I will be able to see the 10-bit support in the h.264 format soon.

I don’t think that this is a couple of groups as I have found that many of the anime groups are switching to the 1080p releases. Even though the original matter is 8 bit and even the 10bit encoding helps to provide a better quality with less size and I have also found that the many places are having limitations in bandwidth and even the smaller size helps as well. I think that the technical limitation are preventing the support and now I willing to get a home-theater computer.