Thread: How to convert VMware workstation 8 to VMware workstation 7?

How to convert VMware workstation 8 to VMware workstation 7?

I found many troubles with VMware 8. I would love to back at V7. However, since the upgrade path is to modify the guest operating system is suspect this is not probable. My guest operating system is Windows XP. Anybody know of a procedure I can go away back an edition?

Re: How to convert VMware workstation 8 to VMware workstation 7?

If you have already upgraded their hardware virtual machines' virtual, go to VM> Manage> Change hardware compatibility and backward compatibility to 7.x workstation.

It worked beautifully! Thank you very much. Return to a system working again now

I have yet to attempt a guest Workstation 8 (with Windows 7 x64 host).What trouble do you find that you made it back to WorkStation 7? (So far, though they have encountered troubles in WorkStation 8 you're looking like a champion to me, presumptuous that there is something lurking).

I am also facing exactly similar problem.
    1. It took a whole day to install the damn thing. VMware Tools to install a big problem. But finally it worked.
    2. Connections to the network a big problem. Other people on this forum have the same problem. You can get an Internet connection or LAN connection, but not both simultaneously.
    3. I had to access network resources through shared folder.
    4. I use four monitors. This only works in V8. You could acquire all the settings, and then would attempt to reduce the VMware.
    5. The bar at the top is terrible to use. Although not a killer problem, it is very difficult. It hides too much of the Guest screen, so now I have to hide cars.
    6. it’s too slow. I'm back in VM 7 now and is like a breath of fresh air! I've seen similar comments from other users - I think this is something we have to see.

I'm not trying to say that none of their problems are the problems (and I'm sure many can determine what works and does not work for you), but I think it is good to know if it works for someone else, then you may give some hope that the issue could be able to resolve (if so inclined to try again).

Anyway I had no intention of turning this into an essay, but it has become that way. In conclusion I really appreciate your response, but has given me something to keep in mind as I continue my WS8 test to determine if it will work or not.

We're definitely looking into troubles installing VMware Tools. We are seeing the same mixed reports is about people who have problems with installation tools and we are trying to find the root cause. We have not had any reports of this issue during the beta and were surprised by this, but enough people have beaten you know we have to solve.

The screen technology used to manage multiple monitors and the unit has been completely revised in this release. Memory is used much less, should be much faster and the unit should perform much better, but with the changes of this magnitude is not intended to be a regression or two. We would appreciate anyone who has problems to send screen or file a bug with our support team so we can investigate.

In general after the test for a week I'm pretty satisfied with WS8 and just updated both my desk and put my application in it for some of the licenses (and to recommend WS8 look at what we can offer in terms of capability new server). Also, merely tried USB Communicator by means of headset and it works now! In WS7 Communicator calls is not possible, but I just had a talk 15 minutes with a product manager and worked very well. He came to tell me how much virtual box is giving problems (blue screens and errors in OpenGL), so I just may have convinced him too much to take a workstation license .

It all depends on what I've found a couple of easily avoided / worked-around issues quasi-(one in three turned out to be a user problem, not a software problem! ), But many other things are working better than in my humble opinion it was a very sturdy, so let's change the tone a bit more to congratulate the team the workstation as it is a pretty good version, to the extent that my own use cases go.

Satyrs Guest

I'm going back to the 7.14 workstation also Workstation 8 appears to have no real "improvements" that I was able to see, however, that there was a big thing wrong with it - I was not able to install anything from a more physical CD. Any place in the cd drive, only an error occurs it will not work.

I think you can adjust the width of the toolbar full screen by doing the following steps:
    • In Windows 7 hosts open the folder C: \ Users \ USERNAME \ AppData \ Roaming \ VMware directory
    • Add or change the following value in preferences.ini
    • pref.commandBar.fullScreen.width = "#"
    • Valid values for the number sign are 10 - 100. This is the percentage of the width of the monitor to be used by the toolbar full screen.
    • pref.commandBar.fullScreen.width = "70" must use 70 percent of the screen.