Thread: Icons for .exe files messed up!

sad Icons for .exe files messed up!

I am using windows xp. All the executables(.exe) files' icons on my computer have been changed into same looking icons. Please note that these are not shortcuts. I am not able to change icons individually icons for .exe files as executables don't allow their icons to be changed from their properties. I have already tried a system restore and even rebuild the icon cache but no solution is found. I tried to change the file association type icon from folder options but I am not able change it for .exe files. I tried re-installing programs but it doesn't work. So please help!

Re: Icons for .exe files messed up!

Follow the below fix to solve your issue:

1. First, you will need to download the Tweak UI PowerToy and install it.
    2. After that run Tweak UI using the shortcut in Start, All Programs.
    3. Next, you have to click Repair in the left pane
    4. After that with Rebuild Icons option selected in drop-down, click Repair Now
    5. Click OK.

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    Follow the below fix to solve your issue:

1. First, you will need to download the Tweak UI PowerToy and install it.
    2. After that run Tweak UI using the shortcut in Start, All Programs.
    3. Next, you have to click Repair in the left pane
    4. After that with Rebuild Icons option selected in drop-down, click Repair Now
    5. Click OK.
    I have already tried to repair by rebuilding icons but it doesn't work for my case. Please suggest a different way.

Can you open Registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Classes \ Exefile \ Shell \ Open \ Command.

Now, whatever value is in there needs to be replaced with the following: "%1" %* (exactly as shown).

You should only have to do this when your EXEs have stopped launching properly. %1 in the string defines the object. As a matter of fact, you can also use the %1 trick to change the default icons for BMP, ICO, CUR, ANI, ICL, DLL, or CPL files.

Look up at the exefile's DefaultIcon key. See how the data column has a %1? Peruse through the Classes key until you find the filetype name (its extension towards the top of the list will let you know precisely). For instance, BMP is also classified as Paint.Picture. Change its default icon to %1 and you'll have BMP thumbnails in all of Explorer's views instead of the default BMP icon.

smile Re: Icons for .exe files messed up!

Quote Originally Posted by super cop View Post
    Can you open Registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Classes \ Exefile \ Shell \ Open \ Command.

Now, whatever value is in there needs to be replaced with the following: "%1" %* (exactly as shown).

You should only have to do this when your EXEs have stopped launching properly. %1 in the string defines the object. As a matter of fact, you can also use the %1 trick to change the default icons for BMP, ICO, CUR, ANI, ICL, DLL, or CPL files.

Look up at the exefile's DefaultIcon key. See how the data column has a %1? Peruse through the Classes key until you find the filetype name (its extension towards the top of the list will let you know precisely). For instance, BMP is also classified as Paint.Picture. Change its default icon to %1 and you'll have BMP thumbnails in all of Explorer's views instead of the default BMP icon.
    Thank you very much for all your help. I changed the exefile's DefaultIcon key to %1 and all my icons were changed back to their original ones. This thread can be closed now.