Thread: slow performance between Vista host and XP guest during file sharing,copying and browsing

slow performance between Vista host and XP guest during file sharing,copying and browsing

I am currently using Vista service pack 1 as the host and windows XP as the guest and the problem that is appearing to me is the very slow network transfers just for example copying a very small file say about 5 mb from just from the host to guest is taking approximately 8 mins which seems to be very unsatisfying.Just to let you know in detail i am experiencing this
    Vista host XP guest: 5 KB/sec
    XP host XP guest: 40 MB/sec

Re: slow performance between Vista host and XP guest during file sharing,copying and browsing

This really sounds strange although it does not look like any thing related to hardware problem as well.You can just try out a complete and clean install of both the xp and the vista sp1 or just try to switch the host to SP1 or SP2 or SP3 in order to check whether they appears to be normal as a host or they to give the same slow performance.You can even test your Workstation version like 6.0.4 or 6.0.5 or 6.5.If there might be any software or compatibility issue then it would help you to sort you your problem.

Re: slow performance between Vista host and XP guest during file sharing,copying and browsing

You can also try the following hacks and they might just help you a bit in repairing the performance issue.
    • Deactived Remote Differential Compression
    • Disabled "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level
    • Disabled SMB 2.0
    • Disabled "Chimney Offload State"
    • Disabled SMB signing
    • Deactived Remote Differential Compression
    • Disabled IPv6

I think your problem might be a bit specific types,i mean It would be specific to a "bridged" network connection which goes from the from your "guest" Operating system to your "host" Operating system and SMB mappings.If you want you can try switching the both like change your operating system for the guest to that of your host and operating system of your host to that of your guest and just check if this might solve your problem or just might increase the performance of your computer to some extent as well.

You might have installed some VMware Tools in your Guest so you may need to uninstall and reinstall the same and make sure you make a clear uninstall and then a clear and complete install as well.Hope you are not using Jumbo Frames on the Host or the Guest.You can try disabling the "Checksum Offload" or the "Large Segment Offload" settings which you view by going in to Properties and then in the Advanced Settings of your physical Ethernet adapter.After you perform all these you will surely solve your problem and if not then you will come to know where the actual problem is or what the problem is.Best of luck

What i have found by now and what i have felt by now is that This problem might be because of the VMWare Workstation 6.5 as i have heard that VMWare Workstation 6.5 is likely to not support the default settings on some Windows Vista x64 Ethernet adapters. which is unfortunately raising this problem with a no of other windows as well there is some compatibility issue which is not allowing the transfer of files between the guest and host properly thus lowering the transfer speed.

I was face the same kind of error and it appeared that Jumbo frames(9014) were working fine but i needed to turn off the Large Send Offload and I was able to leave xxx Checksum Offload IPv4 as RX & Tx Enabled and further i disabled all IPv6 checksum / offload but nothing seemed to have worked,I am having have a Intel 82567LM gigabit nic on Vista x64 SP1 with workstation 6.5. which was working fine untill i went for a Windows update change - 2008-12-09 but i am not sure whether the problem is really because of it hence any further suggestion to solve this will be appreciated.