Thread: Error message "Only one instance of setup may be run at a time" while installing the any Office Product.

Error message "Only one instance of setup may be run at a time" while installing the any Office Product.

I was trying to install the Office 2010 Professional as well as Visio 2010 Standard but while installing I started getting error message saying that "Only one instance of setup may be run at a time". No matter how many times I try to install this Office products but I end up getting the same error message and the installation stops. I am running Windows XP on my computer, please suggest me what should I do to solve this issue? Thanks

Re: Error message "Only one instance of setup may be run at a time" while installing the any Office Product.

There are some antivirus software that blocks any programs to access properly to the registry keys. So if you have any antivirus installed in your computer then try to disable them and then try to install the Office products. Also, disable firewall for the time being when you are done with the installation. After the installation finishes then you can enable back the antivirus and firewall again.

Re: Error message "Only one instance of setup may be run at a time" while installing the any Office Product.

Can you tell us whether there was a previous version or trial version of Office installed in the computer? If yes, then try to remove them and restarte your computer and then try to install them again. To do that click on Start > Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs and from the given list try to remove any program that starts with Microsoft Office. After removing restart your pc and then try to install the latest office product.

Try to perform a clean boot in Windows by following the below method:
    • Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    • The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options
    • In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
    • Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
    • Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
    • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
    • Click the Services tab.
    • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
    • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
    • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

More steps given on this website - https://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353