Thread: How on earth to get a custom picture as a background in Word 2007?

How on earth to get a custom picture as a background in Word 2007?

I have looked through so many of the forum threads and cannot find the answer to help me, (so please read my question thoroughly to make sure you're not sending me off to stuff I've already read, please. Thank you kindly! )

I want to create a background for a Word 2007 document. I already have a template with the right background, however when it prints some of the picture is lost off to the sides. I have to PDF documents for it to print the way it looks
    I don't have access to the original picture I mention in the template above, so have created a replica image in Paint - but when inserting as a picture, in the header, or as a background or watermark, the sizing is all wrong and either slips off the edge or the 100/200% options are rubbish.

Do I need to create a picture in a different programme other than Paint? Or, how do I set the picture to be the correct size for an A4 document?

PLEASE any help - I don't even think there is a solution to this using Paint to create my own picture, but am not sure how else to do this.

Thanks in advance.

mad-max Guest

Re: How on earth to get a custom picture as a background in Word 2007?

I don't think Paint is the solution for you. Download a trial version of Photoshop, open up a new A4 document (300 dpi) and fill in the graphic that you want to use as background in in MS Word. As you mentioned, converting the file to pdf might also help, try selecting "Shrink to printable area" when printing from pdf.

Hi mad-max,

Appreciate your reply. I have downloaded a free trial of Photoshop, however, when I insert the image I've created in Photoshop into my Word document, the sizing problem is the same again - it inserts too small in the centre of the page, I stretch it out from one corner and it oversizes both width and length-ways, skewing the image along with it.

Do I need to be setting more specific parameters in the Photoshop document when I'm creating my background image? If so, where and how? (I'm a complete Photoshop newbie, but managed to change the page setup to A4 size and 300 pixels per inch, but obvy that hasn't worked...)

You can either display in the background a "text watermark" (like "confidential") or a "picture watermark". Microsoft Word 2007 comes with multiple built-in text watermarks you can display in the background of your documents, behind the text. To display one of the built-in text watermark, click on the Page Layout tab of the Ribbon, and locate the Page Background section of commands. Refer to this thread which will help you with more information - Picture background in word 2007

Hi,

Thanks but I've already read through that forum, which has not helped unfortunately. Also, the answer you supplied does not address the fact that I'm looking to create and insert my own picture as a Word background, I'm comfortable with the set backgrounds/watermarks etc.

I'm talking to our marketing department to see if they can assist.

Any other offers of advice welcome.

Thanks.