Thread: Windows 7: Unable to Delete documents or file folders

Windows 7: Unable to Delete documents or file folders

Unable to Delete documents or file folders

I originally posted this in MS Office help but I now think it may be a windows explorer problem. The reason I think so is that the problem is not limited to Word documents. It also happens with file folders. It's as if they are stuck somewhere.

MS Word somehow thinks that the document I'm trying to delete is open somewhere when it isn't. The message I get is this: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Microsoft Office Word. Close the file and try again." I tried a suggestion from someone of ending the process named 'winword.exe' but it didn't work. After I stopped the process, the process wasn't listed any longer but the document still wouldn't delete.

Other solutions I have read about so far have to do with unlocking files due to password problems. My problem isn't with passwords. I tried a program called 'Unlocker' that is supposed to deal with this problem specifically but it hasn't worked for me.

The only way I have found to be able to free the file is to shut down the computer and restart it. Most of the time, the file will let me delete it after that. My OS is Windows 7 (64 bit). It is very frustrating and I can't keep restarting the computer (which sometimes doesn't help). I can read the document and see into the empty folder but I can't edit, rename, or delete it. It happens a lot.

Help please
    Jo

Re: Windows 7: Unable to Delete documents or file folders

Can you try to perform clean boot and check if you have the issue:
    1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
    4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
    5. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
    6. Click OK.
    7. When you are prompted, click Restart.
    8. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Re: Windows 7: Unable to Delete documents or file folders

I tried your directions without success. : {
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jo