Thread: Unable to access Twonky Media Server in WD My Book Live

Unable to access Twonky Media Server in WD My Book Live

I am having the My Book Live 2TB which is working perfectly for me. Now it is giving me some problem. The actual problem is that it is not recognizing the devices which are connected Sony Bravia, Blue ray player and playstation 3 consoles. I can able to access the web interface. There is no any connected media players listed in it. I want to tell you that it can be accessible from the Mac on network. But there is some problem with the software Twonky I think so which I am using. So anyone has solution to resolve the problem I am facing right now.

Re: Unable to access Twonky Media Server in WD My Book Live

I have faced same problem as you when connected devices which are using it are not get recognized by the WD My Book Live. There can be some problem while recognizing but I have one solution which you can try. Try to use rescan feature which will help you to recognize and check the device again. Since this works for me all the devices are get recognized after rescan gets finished .

I am also having the My Book Live which connected to playstation 3. And it also given me such a problem. Yes this problem is due to the Twonky service itself which is running. Try to resolve the problem using the following which I have done try to disable the service for some time and again restart the service. It will help to recognize the devices. You can access the twonky web interface through “http: //MBL_IP_Address “. And try to do what I have said it will help you.

Thanks for the solutions for both the solutions are not working for me. I have rescanned the devices but not worked also I have tried to disable and enable twonky but none of this help me also I have found that database is also empty.

It is the known problem for many of the users. I have faced the same problem. I have searched the solution over the internet and you can only fix this trough the Ssh, shell or Linux and has the knowledge of those to resolve the problem. Before doing anything take the backup of the data. Or I have other solution which you can also try. Reset the drive after backup entire drive and check if it will help you to recognize the devices which are connected to the My Book Live. It can work so try it.

I have the same problem. So I have contacted them regarding the problem. So they told that the issue is known issue. And which is resolved by them in the next version of the update which is coming out in two weeks. So wait for the update to be available. It will resolve the problem you are facing.

It is actually the bug with the Twonky Media Server which was provided with the Western Digital provided with the drive. Follow the below steps to solve the problem you are facing. Since the database of it is causing the problem. So this will help you to erase the corrupted database of Twonky .so we have to delete the database. Twonky will check for the database if it doesn’t found the database it will re create new one. If the media server is not starting up try to turn off and restart it again. Also we need the ssh client like putty.
    Follow the Below Steps
    • Login to the Dashboard
    • Disable the Twonky Media Server.
    • Now Enable the ssh you can find this by going to the “http ://mybooklive/UI/ssh”
    • Now login to it as root using the client.
    • Now open the console in linux.
    • Now type cd /CacheVolume/twonkymedia which takes you inside the folder
    • mv twonky.db PossiblyCorrupt_twonky.db
    • mv db.info PossiblyCorrupt_db.info
    • now logout
    If all work perfectly then the PossiblyCorrupt_twonky.db` and `PossiblyCorrupt_db.info` can be erased.
    • Now again login to Dashboard
    • Enable the Twonky
    • Lofin to Twonky web Inteface “http: //MyBookLive:9000/”
    • It will show you the progression of scanning
    After all the steps followed you can see the Twonky works perfectly and all the devices gets detected by it.

I don’t think it is the problem with the Western Digital. I will hundread percent sure that the problem is actually with the Twonky software itself. Twonky version which is available over the My Book Live is older one. Since I have seen that the version 6 of this software is working perfectly without any issue. Let’s hope the update will resolve the issue which is faced by the users. Since everyone don’t want to restore their device. Other solution I will provide you to resolve the problem you are facing is that you can perform the factory reset. Before doing that take a backup of the drive. It can resolve the problem you are facing. I seen that the twonky is the key problem which is failing ate random time.

I am not happy with the Twonky version which was provided with the western digital. It has the buggy software which is causing problems to us. Solution which provided by him it corrects one. Since database is corrupted we have to allow it to be created again by the Twonky. Twonky why provided the older software to western digital still they has the new one which works perfectly.

Thank you. I am so noob on root access. I searched and found that to use ssh client putty, but I have no idea how to use and log in to root access.

Can you kindly explain in step by step?

I don't understand how to "Now login to it as root using the client.".

How do I login to as root? Using what and how to use that?

Thanks.

azpirin,

Which operating system have you installed in your pc? I am not able to understand what you are saying but if i am correct, you need to plug the WD MyBook into the wall outlet without a power-strip and after a restart, you can access the media server (twonky) just fine.