Thread: While updating the firmware of WD My Book Live getting error message "Upgrade copy failure"

While updating the firmware of WD My Book Live getting error message "Upgrade copy failure"

I am having problem while updating the firmware with My Bok Live. I have tried to update the firmware of hard drive from the dashboard. The download of the firmware starts perfectly and also completed. Installation of the firmware also started but sometimes later it stops and given the message "Upgrade copy failure". But never caused damage to the device the device is working fine without any issue. But I am not able to update the firmware of the hard drive. Anyone has the solution to resolve the problem. I am using Linux OS.

Re: While updating the firmware of WD My Book Live getting error message "Upgrade copy failure"

I will suggest you download the firmware update form the western digital site for your drive. You are using the linux as the operating system. So I will suggest you to upgrade the firmware of the files using the command line that is use the console in the linux to upgrade the firmware so if any error was occurring while updating can be pointed out. So use console to install.

Re: While updating the firmware of WD My Book Live getting error message "Upgrade copy failure"

I have faced the same problem while upgrading the firmware of the WD My Book Live. I don’t know actually why this is happening. But when I tried to upgrade the firmware form the dashboard it fails. So according to me the file downloaded through the dashboard is somehow getting corrupted. So due to that only the file is causing the problem. So will suggest you to download firmware manually from the western digital site for your model and try to upgrade it to latest one. It will work since I have also tried this.

Check if the any sector of the hard drive is not gets corrupted. You can check this by using the fsck utility through the console. It will check if the problem is there and solves the problem if there is any read or write error on it. so use this if there is any error then due to that also it will fail to update the firmware due to corruption. If error in the drive gets solved now try to upgrade the firmware for the hard drive.

I am having My Book Live and it also caused such a problem for me while upgrading firmware. Yes file need to be 100% clear to get upgrade work perfectly and successfully without any issue. Since I have faced sometimes problem while upgrading the firmware file is due to the NAS. Please make sure that the NAS is not running while upgrading firmware since it will cause the installation fail for me. So I will suggest you to disconnect the NAS for a while when upgrading the firmware.

I will suggest you to check if the file is downloaded correctly and has the perfect md5 hash check and size of the firmware. Sometimes the md5 hash check can cause the problem while installing if it is not correct. So confirm it while receiving the file. If nothing resolves try to contact the customer care of western digital