Thread: SERVER 2003 - SBS 2011 Migration Issue

SERVER 2003 - SBS 2011 Migration Issue

Hi,

I am attempting to migrate a server 2003 to SBS 2011, now i know this going against the grain somewhat, however i have spoke to microsoft and they inform me that it is possible to do.

The main issue i have is when running adprep32.exe /forest prep it fails, i receive the following error

asprep was unable to extend the schema

The schema master did not complete a replication cycle after the last reboot. The schema master must complete at least one replication cycle before the schema can be extended.

[USER ACTION]

Verfity that the schema master is connected ti the network and can communicate with other active directory domain controllers. use the sites and services snap-in to replicate betweeen the schems operations master and at least one replication partner. after replication has succeeded, run adprep again.

now the issue i have is that the server configured for replication no longer exists, the companys old IT support provider obviously hasnt removed replication properly, please could somone advise me on how to remove the replication from this system and confirm that it is the FSMO role holder.

Thanks for any help in advance guys.

Lewis

Re: SERVER 2003 - SBS 2011 Migration Issue

I have some troubleshooting tips that can help you to deal with ADPREP. The error is common where ADREP fails. Go to C:\Windows\Debug\Adprep\Logs and there you can see an log file. The most common failur are
    • Errors Running Adprep /Forestprep
    • Adprep Was Unable to Extend the Schema
    • Adprep was unable to extend the schema.

Here what happens, is the schema master fails to finish the replication cycle. It is quiet necessary to finish one one replication cycle before it is extended. For this the first thing you need to do is to check that the schema master is properly connected and can communicate with on the network with AD users. Once the replication is done run adprep back again.