Thread: Windows XP x64 cyclic reboot

Post Windows XP x64 cyclic reboot

Hi all,

I'm facing a curious issue. As of late my MX Revolution mouse started to freeze for 1-2 seconds every minute or so. The mouse was working fine for at least 4 years. I tried to move the mouse receiver to another USB port, unplug the tablet I use, switch off Wi-Fi, different mousepad, plug in another mouse (which worked fine), etc. This lead me to believe that the mouse bit the dust finally.

After buying a new mouse I uninstalled the logitech setpoint SW and plugged in the mouse. Just to be sure I confirmed the reboot after the uninstaller finished. Everything came up and Sound Max was just asking what is plugged into one connector. After that a freeze. Reboot. Repeat - the same scenario happened again.

I unplugged the new mouse. Plugged in the old one instead. Reboot. Blue screen of death during Windows startup. The last known configuration. Reboot. Blue death. Plugged everything but the keyboard out. Reboot. Blue death. Reboot. Safe mode. Blue Death.

The screen is just telling me:
    "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

There is nothing else displayed. No error codes... chkdsk /P finishes fine. Tried to replace the kernel32.dll from the installation disk but to no avail.
    I guess there must be some useful information on the disk which would point out what's wrong with the system. Out of sudden...

I'm suspecting the Sound Max which was behaving strangely lately but on the other hand it shouldn't prevent the Windows from starting up in safe mode.

Specs:
    Windows XP x64 Professional
    Asus P5Q Deluxe, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Any ideas where to look for additional info?

Thanks in advance.

Ash

Re: Windows XP x64 cyclic reboot

My first guess is that somebody is playing with you.
    Anyhow you have to get a Ubuntu-CD and boot into a live session to see if your computer crashs if you use a mouse.
    If ubuntu works then back up you stuff and reinstall windows.
    That is the easiest way I know.
    If you want to I can try to fix it but I can't promise that I can fix your computer or windows installation.

Tip1: Don't forget your savegames and your windows user folder (my files) and the files on the desktop and anything on the "drive" that you installed windows to. C :\Documents and Settings\ user name \My Documents

Tip2: If you haven't already make another partition for all your files.

Tip3: Try to google yourself

Any questions mail me jangirke@gmail.com