Thread: Google chrome, lost my bookmarks

Google chrome, lost my bookmarks

Here I have a problem with my Google chrome and I want to share it with you people. I am using Google chrome in my windows XP from past few months and it was fine to use it. But, yesterday, when I started Google chrome, immediately an error box displayed. I didn’t noticed what the error is and I just closed it. And after that I lost all my browsing history and bookmarks. I was bookmarking the pages from previous 2 months and I added too many bookmarks till then and now I don’t have any of them. Have any idea about, how I can get those bookmarks back? Please, suggest.

Re: Google chrome, lost my bookmarks

I understand what it feels when you lost any collection of yours, either its bookmarks or anything. The best way to avoid these types of situations is always make a backup copy of everything that you don’t want to lose. If you have a backup copy then you can just restore it again and everything becomes as it was. If don’t have backup copies then you might have exported those bookmarks to any other browser. If it is so then you can import bookmarks and histories from that browser. I think this will help you.

Here I want to add something from my side. As of I know the reason behind this problem may be a virus. So I will suggest you to first do a complete scan of your computer using malwarebytes. It’s a best anti-Malware software that I experienced. I use it to remove the worst viruses. And after that as you said you lost your bookmarks then you should check that if you have made any back up or in other browsers as sometimes when you install a new browser all bookmarks from previous browsers are imported.

Here I have a solution for you, it might help you. You can find back up of your bookmarks in your profile. I will tell you where you can find them. You can browse to “%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Windows Vista and Windows 7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\”. There you can find back up of you book marks but if you have opened your browser after that then it is possible that, your backup might have been over written.

Thanks for both the replies. Firstly and Unfortunately, I didn’t make any kind of back up of my bookmark, and I have only google chrome and Internet explorer. And as I use only Google chrome, I never exported my bookmarks to internet explorer. So I cant import my bookmarks from there. And Secondly, I tried opening my browser so many times and I also restarted my PC and I think that might be reason that when I browsed to Default folder I find many files but nothing like bookmark thing.