Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Outlook 2010 doesn't use English as default language for spell check

Windows Software

Old 10-08-2011

Outlook 2010 doesn't use English as default language for spell check

I have a quite strange phenomenon. One of our users uses English as default language in MS-Office but while Word performs the spell-check without any issues, Outlook always switches to German as a default language for spell checking. Checking the settings in Outlook and Word showed that the settings are the same. Does anyone have an idea?

Old 10-08-2011

star Re: Outlook 2010 doesn't use English as default language for spell check

Found this post in here and it worked for me.

"I finally found a solution. In the registry keys there is a folder named "override". This file does not exist. I deleted it from my registry and now everything works just fine.

Here's the culprit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override

Microsoft, if you can hear me. Please fix this!!!

Thank you Ute & Joan for your comments and suggestions.

Good Day,

Dillon
Old 10-08-2011

Re: Outlook 2010 doesn't use English as default language for spell check

Thanks for the hint... unfortuntally the registry settings are blocked by a group policy, so I can't check if it would work. Oh and by the way, Microsoft knows about the issue http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970826 but for some reason they are not able to fix it :-)
Old 11-08-2011

Re: Outlook 2010 doesn't use English as default language for spell check

If from Windows regional settings you delete the US English option and configure as English UK; and you turn off the automatically detect language option from Review > Set Language, English UK should hold for typed text. Inserted text will still adopt the language in which it was formatted. Have you checked the language assigned to the dictionary, i.e. Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar, Custom Dictionaries, Modify. Do you see English UK, US, or All Languages?

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , ,