Thread: Can Windows support RAW file format

Can Windows support RAW file format

I am having Nikon D100 camera. And I have raw camera files. I am using Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 installed. Whenever I try to view this format that is raw I can’t able to view. I have tried to view in Windows Explorer but no luck to me. Also tried to view trough Windows live photo gallery. I can see only normal icons. I want to see images as the thumbnail. Can there anyway to see it. Please provide some solution. It will be helpful for me.

Re: Can Windows support RAW file format

Yes this is not a problem actually. It is happening due to there is no supported codec for it installed on your pc. Therefore you can’t see the thumbnails. And able to see only the Icons. You need to do search for the codec . it will help you to view the thumbnail of your image which is in raw format. For windows XP I have one codec. Which you can download from Microsoft site prophoto section which has codec section. The codec available there will help only for the windows XP. I don’t know about if it works for all the version of the Windows XP. But you can give a try. I can solve your problem.

You can view the RAW files with the codec. Microsoft has launched the new codec pack. Which is known as the Microsoft codec pack. This will help us to view the different file format of various devices. So download this codec pack form Microsoft. It will help you to view raw format file in the Windows Live Photo Gallery. And you can also able to view the thumbnail of image as well as you can see it in Windows Explorer also. Install this package. Not only it will support only the Windows Live photo Gallery but also support various other software. Which are compatible with this codec pack. The package is available for both the 32 bit and 64 bit operating system.

I am also facing such a thing few days before. But now Microsoft launched Windows image Code. I have installed it. And after installing it I can able to see the raw image format as the thumbnail in the windows explorer. And trough the Windows Live photo gallery it is now visible. So install this codec pack. It will help you to view the raw image files as well as other format files from the camera. I don’t know which more format of the device are supported by this codec pack.

I have used this codec pack. And it works for many of the format of different device. The list of the devices which is supported by it. It support mainly canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica, Minolta, Epson, Panasonic and finally Pentax . But in pantax camera this codec pack will support only PEF format.
    • Nikon models supported by it are D100, D1H, D200, D2H, D2Hs, D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3s, D300, D3000, D300s, D3X, D40, D40x, D50, D5000, D60, D70, D700, D70s, D80, D90, P6000.
    • Sony models supported by it are A100, A200, A230, A300, A330, A350, A380, A700, A850, A900, and DSC-R1
    • Olympus models supported by it are C7070, C8080, E1, E10, E20, E3, E30, E300, E330, E400, E410, E420, E450, E500, E510, E520, E620, and EP1
    • Lieca models supported by it are Digilux 3, D-LUX4, M8, and M9
    • Minolta models supported by it are DiMage A1, DiMage A2, Maxxum 7D
    • Epson models supported by it are RD1
    • Panasonic models supported by it are G1, GH1, GF1, LX3
    • Pentax models supported by it are K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K110D, K200D, K20D, K7, K-x

I am also having Canon camera form few days. And I am also not able to view it using windows explorer or Windows Live photo gallery. Yes the codec will solve your problem of viewing. But you can also view through the other applications without using any codec pack. Some of the programs from which you can view raw files are Adobe Lightroom and Bridge. And also there are other applications also from which you can view the raw files one of such an application is PhotoMechanic form which you can preview and sort the images. And I am not confirm about but acdsee also supports the RAW image format.

With the help of Microsoft camera codec pack you can now able to view the raw image as the preview in the windows photo gallery. This is really nice. But still we can’t see the thumbnail of the image. And some of the most recent models are missing from the list some of those are Nikon D3100 and D5100, Canon EOS 60D, all the Olympus PEN series, and the most recent Panasonic G series. If you need the thumbnail preview you need to force the thumbnail creation. Which you can do by following below steps
    • Right-click on one of the images and select Preview within the Preview display,
    • Now choose the Edit, organize, or share menu option.
    After doing this open the image in the Gallery, it automatically begins to render thumbnails for all of the images in the folder.