Thread: WD media player shows "mode not supported” message.

WD media player shows "mode not supported” message.

i have purchased the WD media player one year ago. I have a connection to Samsung Plasma 720p via HDMI and I am also the user of WD-My Book Essentials 1.5 TB hard drive which is directly wired with media box. I don’t have any problem from this till last week. It’s performance gets better and better. But at last week I face the problem in the audio and video of my device while trying to watch the movie on it. I don’t get any idea about that. Hence I power down the player immediately. And try to restart then also I found the same problem. Then I try to unplug the hard drive by switch off the system. And then I plugged it back in and try to start the system. But then screen was flickering in and show the message "mode not supported” on the screen. Then after I cant do anything on my system. I am using original firmware then also I get this error. I can’t get any idea. Can anyone help me out from this problem?

Re: WD media player shows "mode not supported” message.

I read your problem. This type of problem are rarely found in WD system. But there are solution are available in the market for that. I can give you some suggestion for solving your problem. You can try to update your firmware to the latest version. This can give you some sort of idea to the problem. You can do that by downloading the files by the use of PC which is properly formatted to USB stick. Then try to unplug the your WD live and put the USB stick into the WD drive and then connect the plug into WD live back in. in this way you can try to get back to the proper menu. If this not works then try to reset your device. This can be done with a paper clip by sticking the paperclip in the little hole for some seconds.

According to your description I think you have WD media player problem. Your problem in WD TV is not a WDTV box problem. Here I am giving you some information about this problem. Digital TV’s are manufactured for the aspect ratio, frequencies and all international resolutions. Your TV has a problem of locking into a resolution which is not supported by your TV. The main reason of that is video stream that has been ripped and sometimes it not correctly select the resolution and frequency which is not native for you. You have to use video out signal from the WDTV box for your TV. Then check out the resolution setup in the WDTV box and the TV. If you have the manual then you can use for your reference that will tell you a setup guide to set up the resolution. You have to reset your resolution to default. I think this will give you some help to solve your problem.

After reading the problem I come to know that you faces the strange problem about WD TV. I am giving you here some ideas. But I don’t give guarantee to solve your problem by the use of these tricks. But you can try this for you. Actually the WDTV live box goes through to a boot routine which is required to find the compatible HDMI resolution. if that gets lock into the HDMI resolution and remain it in the memory then the problem may solved and it work properly. Sometimes the digital TV has to be switch off because the remote has no action for that. This is done by resetting the digital TV to correct the HDMI resolution. I think this will give you better idea to solve your problem. If this works then its OK. But don’t try this one repeatedly to solve these types of problem. Because it may cause to some severe disadvantages. I hope this will work. Thank you.

I read your problem. I think you have to use some general techniques to solve this problem. Here I am giving you some tricks to solve this problem. You can use the VOB (video object). VOB is only video stream that has to be required for many of the DVD players. If someone try to watch the DVD title by the use of WDTV Live box. Then convert the title to the MPG file. This can take some minutes to complete the freeware program which is known as VOB2MPG. I seen most of DVDs Which plays perfectly on the computers. The lockup problem is eliminated by the most of the DVD players but then also it is found various times. You can try to eliminates this problem by converting the DVD’s to MPG files. I hope this will work for you. Thank you.

As per your description I come to know that your problem can be solved by some methods. Actually I also faced the same problem one month ago and I solved it by this technique that’s why I am telling you about this. You can try to reset both the TV and WD live to the factory setting. And then try to update the firmware this will fix your problem. If this not work then try to check out your system to another machine if its works fine then you will come to know there is fault in your machine and not in your system itself. i think this will give you better option to solve your problem. Hope this will work thank you.

After reading your problem I come to know that there is a problem of HDMI handshaking incompatibility. For that reason I can give you some option which can be applicable to you. First try to connect your TV with the help of the composite output of the WD box. Then after you have to go in the WD video/audio setup and then set the video output to HDMI. There you will see you can manually choose resolution/frequency which support your TV. Then you have to switch back the HDMI cable. I think this will work for you. You can try this but I cannot give you guarantee that this will work. Thank you.