Thread: Video Getting Stretched on 4:3 TV with WDTV Live Firmware 1.05.04

Video Getting Stretched on 4:3 TV with WDTV Live Firmware 1.05.04

I have a live WDTV connected to a 4:3 TV. Most of the videos you see are large, so it is normal to see the black bars on top and the bottom. However, since the new firmware is installed, any video I try to see is being stretched. It's annoying. They look terrible time. I realized that if I go to the setup menu and format changes from normal to widescreen, then return to normal seems to fix the problem. However, the problem is back as soon as you reload the device. Does anyone see this problem too? Should I return to the previous firmware (1.04)?

Re: Video Getting Stretched on 4:3 TV with WDTV Live Firmware 1.05.04

I leave mine on 24 / 7 to enter the configuration is not a problem for me is my work-around. From what I can do with rapid splashing about, there are 3 options:

1. Leave WDTV in
    2. Tinker with the setting to "Widescreen" and then back to "normal" every time you turn the box
    3. Undo Firmware

The good thing # 3 is the biggest complaints with the previous firmware seemed to be everything related to composite output HDMI with a 4:3 CRT, I had absolutely no problem with the previous firmware.

Some people have had success by resetting the device:

• Disconnect for 10 minutes
    • press the reset button when the paper clip powers back
    • "Restore Factory Defaults" in the configuration when power is restored
      that tends to fix things if the box gets stuck in a bad place. It is certainly worth trying. Unless my eyes are playing tricks is reset not working for me, though I still appear 4:03 pillar box on a 4:3 screen when the device is switched on.

I can use a 4:3 with my WDTV live on what the default for me is "normal." After updating the firmware V1.05.04_V, the screen extending from top to bottom. I checked and saw to my mind was still normal, so it is set to "Widescreen" and then watched a video to see if there was still a stretch (it did). I set my "normal" and when I saw the video, the stretch is gone. WDTV Even if the power on / off, the problem reappeared. I have not tried disconnecting the WDTV to see if the problem recurs.

It's funny that I and my friend both have the WDTV live and experienced the normal error / Firmware 1.05.04_V widescreen, but after changing the widescreen setting WDTV (then a video) and then put it back to normal (plus a video), the problem has not been repeated. But everyone else on this forum said the problem appears again after turning off your WDTV. Strange, but maybe this is an indication of Engineers WDTV to help solve the problem.

WD failing to disclose information about when the next firmware will be released, and usually do not tell us what fixes / features are included in the next version. Restoring your firmware will continue receiving the annoying "new firmware found." All we can do is leave the device in all the time, or, if the router allows it, you can lock the WD website to update you will not see the message.

My TV is a 16:9 TV Panasonic TX-32PD50D connected via component (576p 50Hz) and shows the same symptoms as the updated 01.05.04. All materials are my video DVD ISO image format read from a NAS Sinology. Although television is a CRT monitor of 16:9, 16:9 screen video material is displayed with black bars at the top and bottom.
    Two solutions:
    • Before showing the video to Settings -> Audio / Video -> Aspect Ratio change widescreen to normal, and vice versa.
    • On changing list of videos to see how key -> right click enter ... but this only works for me as my DVD ISO has no menu is not showing this to start playback.