Thread: Windows 8.1 stuck on Getting Device ready message

Windows 8.1 stuck on Getting Device ready message

I am having a windows 8 Desktop with 1 TB hard drive out of which still over 600Gb is free. Hence instead of overwriting my existing Win 8 setup, i tried dual booting with Win 8.1 Preview by burning its ISO image on a DVD. Created a new partition with 250GB storage capacity, started installation normally like we do in dualbooting but here is the problem. As the title says, installation went fine but it is stuck on"Device ready message" message.

At first attempt i left the PC for over 2 hours but it remained right there. Hence i tried installing it again from scratch but yet the same result. It is not able to pass on the Getting Device ready message. Can any of you guys please help me out with this? I really want to test it out before the final release which is in next month. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 8.1 stuck on Getting Device ready message

I dont know whether it will help or not but i found this solution on one website as a suggestion for 8.1 installation problems. So, if you want, you can give it a try. They say you can fix the problem by simply cleaning out all Temporary files. You have to do this from three different folders. That is Temp, %temp% and Prefetch. You have to delete everything you find in these folders.

Now if you thinking what is the path of these folders, its very simple to reach. Just bring up the RUN box by pressing Win+R key and type Temp, %temp% and Prefetch one by one followed by Enter. This will open the folders. Delete and then try installing windows. Let me know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambak View Post
    Just bring up the RUN box by pressing Win+R key and type Temp, %temp% and Prefetch one by one followed by Enter. This will open the folders. Delete and then try installing windows. Let me know the results.
    That didn't helped either in anyway. Still my installation gets stuck on getting device ready message. I dont know whats the problem. Isn't there any working solution for the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikshu View Post
    That didn't helped either in anyway. Still my installation gets stuck on getting device ready message. I dont know whats the problem. Isn't there any working solution for the same?
    It was surely not gonna help because the steps provided may help only in the case where you are upgrading your system, and not while dual booting because you are installing it on separate partition which doesn’t have any temporary files on it. So here what I guess that can create the problem is your new Partition. Just as a work around, I will suggest you to go to Disk Management, delete the newly created partition and Create a new One. Make sure you reformat it in NTFS. Once done, Temporarily disable all security suites installed on your existing windows and then restart dual booting 8.1 on new partition. Hopefully it should work now. Let us know if you still face any problem.