Thread: Noise while transferring through USB in Audacity

Noise while transferring through USB in Audacity

I have my Ion TT connected to my computer via USB and I'm making too much noise. If I input volume at 1.0, the roof remains meter recording, and recording tracks (on screen) is filled to 100%. After reading another post, I made sure the RCA plugs are not touched, and I've also tried different USB ports on your computer, both to no effect. He also tried a different AC outlet (probably the same circuit, however). I used the turntable many times successfully, but it's been a while, and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Re: Noise while transferring through USB in Audacity

Yes, there is a gain control. It's all the way, so you might try changing (although it is likely that in the same position as it was the last time I used the TT). Thank you. As for the USB drivers, which have undoubtedly been updated, so it is available not quite agree with my notes I made for me last time. I went through all that yesterday. But I wonder if one of the code cs and other drivers is not good.

Through profit certainly helps, but there is much noise. Not sure what some of these controls at the top of the screen are called, so I have to describe. When I'm not recording - and then I realized that this is true even when they have no record on the turntable - the meters next to the speaker and microphone (which shows the L and R) are very active, although not no sound through the speakers, if I'm not playing an LP. Nothing is displayed in meters, except when recording.

This is probably the most important gauges L / R channel activity show (halfway), even if TT is off. However, if I disconnect the USB cable between the TT, the meters will go to zero. This seems to imply that the cable, so I can try another one. But I have no at the time I thought I'd go ahead and post this and see what someone might have to say about it.

Lately, I have a new USB cable. It seemed to make no difference. However, I downloaded the latest version of Audacity 1.3 Beta (I think I upgraded to Windows 7 from the last time you used), and the noise problem seems to have disappeared. However, I have two new problems / questions:

I can not hear anything during the recording, although Preferences / Playback / Playback Software through is checked.The footprints of the two tracks are exactly the same, although "the channels" input is set to '2 (stereo). I watched a bit of recording time and I can not see any difference at all between the channels. I remember being able to see the differences before.

The visual difference between the left and right channels of a stereo recording can be very subtle. Try recording a music album that has very clear and obvious, then play the recording to prove it is recording in stereo. The only connection between the turntable and the computer should be USB connection - the analog of the turntable can be connected to an amplifier, but does not normally be connected to the computer. Be sure to connect and turn on the plate before you start Audacity.

If your computer does not have an input line, you can buy an external USB interface or sound card, and connect a turntable through phono pre-amp line on the USB device. Some USB interfaces and come with a built-in phono preamp. An existing cassette deck can be connected directly to a USB external sound card. Some users with extensive experience in digitizing LPs and tapes believe that the conventional connecting a turntable or tape an external USB interface or sound card is an ideal solution.