Thread: insert picture in excel 2007 based on cell reference

insert picture in excel 2007 based on cell reference

Hi,
    i searced this site and google for hours trying to figure this one out...

spent time on this post:How to insert image or picture in excel 2007?

my scenario is as follows:
    1. Dump file comes from the server - contains employee # and name and some other misc information.
    2. in column P i inserted a formula that takes the employee # and translates it into a website (where the pictures are located)
    3. would like to see the picture in column A scalled and sized with the cell

any help on this would be appreciated!

thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: insert picture in excel 2007 based on cell reference

Follow the below methods to do it:

1. Right click on the cell to launch the shortcut menu.
    2. Click on the Insert Comment menu item, which launches the comment with the name of the user. If you only want an image, highlight the user name with the mouse and delete it. The backspace key doesn’t work all the time and I’m not sure why that’s the case on Excel 2007.
    3. The tricky part (maybe if you’re new to Microsoft Office) requires you to place the mouse on the edge of the comment box, over the bar-dot line, and right click the mouse to launch the shortcut menu in Excel 2007. Click the Format Comment menu item in Excel 2007
    4. Click on the Colors and Lines tab to see the following dialog.
    5. Click on the simple drop-down for the Color option in Excel 2007. Click on the spinner for the Color option in Excel 2008. Inside the box, click on the Fill Effects … menu item. It launches the broadest scope version of the Fill Effects dialog.
    6. Click the Picture tab. Inside the Picture tab, click the Select Picture … button to find a picture on your disk drive.
    7. Click the Lock picture aspect ratio check box if you’re inserting a small landscape orientation image in Excel 2007. Unfortunately, portrait photos don’t seem to preserve aspect ratios as well in Excel 2007.
    8. When you click on the cell, the image is visible. If you need to resize an image, right click on the cell to launch the shortcut menu and click the Edit Comment menu item. You can then resize the display of the image.

Hi Simond,
    thank you for your reply - but your answer is not exactly what i was looking for.

i have a database of over 500 lines and would like the pictures to come up automatically. i have the image path e.g. http://location/pictures/10101.jpg located in column P.

your suggestion makes the image pop up only with mouseover. it will not print properly (as far as i can tell by playing with it).

if you have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Joe

Check the below comments:

ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddPicture "C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Pictures\Girl in Pool.jpg", True, True, Range("G13").Left, Range("G13").Top, 370, 470

This used to work for me in xl2003 and xl2007, however, MS's efforts with shapes in xl2007 are FUBAR and unworthy of them. Go back to xl2003 if you need to do much work with Shapes/Charts. Check out the "AddPicture" method in help for a definition of the arguments

Einstein - How do i insert that code?

Einstein - i have figured out how to insert it properly.

changing the size seems to work easily.

not finding out how to insert it alighed to the top left of a cell (lets say A1)

got any ideas?