Thread: Taking screenshots at displays native pixel density

Taking screenshots at displays native pixel density

Whenever I take screenshots from my Mac then it takes it at 72ppi. I am not able to understand that why it is like this. 72ppi is default pixel density for all the screenshots. This is seems to be the counter-intuitive if we consider the image size. There is very small difference in that when I try to view that on 100% that is the actual size. So can someone tell me that is there is some third-party app that can help me to take the screen shot of the pixel density with my choice.

Re: Taking screenshots at displays native pixel density

In my case, I am doing the resort with manually changing that with the help of the Pixelmator otherwise Photoshop. Right now I am happy with the folder action that is able to take a new screenshot and can alter the density of the pixel with the help of Pixelmator. It will take around 5 seconds to do that and after that you will get that with the changed pixel density. I hope this will help you.

This is creating a big misinterpretation between the concept of the pixel density and the resolution. 72dpi is the random value and it is not similar pixel density like your screen (that will differ dependent on monitor you utilize). Though, a 1920x1200 screenshot will be precisely the similar number of the pixels whether the file is assigned the insignificant value of 72dpi, 96dpi or else 300dpi which will be used later for printing.

I would like to tell you that screenshots are working in that because the pixel density doesn’t matter for this. The resolution, 1920x1200 will always going to give you the same pixel count and the same resolution. So don’t consider the density, just see the resolution by which it is taking the screenshot. I hope it will help you to understand the difference between density and the resolution.

The point is I choose to see images within their actual world dimensions (inches). A very truthful example might be viewing an image for a ruler at definite size, otherwise possibly take a 4x6 inch photo. One more example would be taking the screenshot of the screen, being 20 inches, and watching that on another computer through a larger screen with dissimilar pixel density and check it that is showing you any difference in the quality.

I think that the Mac you are using do not know that what is the PPI in your monitor. If you want then it is possible for you to set the resolution within preferences except PPI information is "handshake-ed" flanked by the monitor and computer lying on startup, your mac would encompass no technique to know the local PPI of a device. You may have to write some script that will put the screenshots to the certain PPI.

I want to choose the screenshots are taken at a pixel density of my choice, not 72 dpi, and do not know where this particular variable can be changed in the software of Apple. I have come to this forum with the hope that someone might know a trick to accomplish this or maybe a third application of screen capture to allow it.