Thread: ‘ibvlcplugin.so: undefined symbol: NPP_Initialize’ Error message on VLC

‘ibvlcplugin.so: undefined symbol: NPP_Initialize’ Error message on VLC

Well I am new to this particular forum and I am getting an issue with the VLC which I have installed on the Linux based computer of mine. I am getting ‘libvlcplugin.so: undefined symbol: NPP_Initialize’ error message. I am unable to figure out why this issue is being on my system. I am hoping that all the users of this forum will help me out to fix the matter which I have already mentioned. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: ‘ibvlcplugin.so: undefined symbol: NPP_Initialize’ Error message on VLC

According to me there can be multiple reasons which might be the root cause of the problem so answer the following basic questions so that I can tell you about the further step to troubleshoot the problem. What operating system do you have installed? Tell me about the version of VLC installed on the computer? From when you are getting this particular issue? Finally post the log file of the error message which you are getting.

Well the Firefox 4 is having a compatibility issue with the VLC plugin. I am sure this the only reason why above mentioned issue is happening into the situation of yours. I recommend that you should simply update the VLC plugin for the browser so that you should resolve the issue. I let you know that you can get the plugin from the official website of the developer.

I have done lots of research work on the problem which we are discussing over here in this particular thread. Well after doing quick googling I have found that mozilla-plugin-vlc 1.1.7-1ubuntu1 pacakge was the root cause of the problem. I recommend that you have to uninstall the mozilla-plugin-vlc 1.1.7-1ubuntu1 package from the computer and then simply restart the machine. Once you have done the same you will not have the above mentioned issue.

I don’t know whether the thing which I am going to mentioned over here would work or not. However I recommend that you should give a try to resolve the issue. Well you should simply uninstall the VLC media player from the computer and then you should reboot the machine of yours. after restrating the machine you should download and install the latest version of the VLC on the system and see whether the issue is persisting or not.

As far as I know many software are having the bug issue and which should be fixed by the developer. Personally I am suspecting that this particular issue is associated with the bug issue. I recommend that you have to simply contact the developer and file a bug report to them. The bug report of yours should carry the information which has been associated with problem which you are facing and the computer configuration. So that the developer can learn where exactly the bug is? And fix the same as early as possible.