Thread: Unable to install Nvida driver getting ‘Unable to find the kernel source tree‘ error message

Unable to install Nvida driver getting ‘Unable to find the kernel source tree‘ error message

Well I have installed BackTrack 5 on the computer of mine. I was trying to install Nvidia driver on the computer by using the following command apt-get install nvidia-driver to install the drivers. It is prompting with an error message on the computer which I have mentioned over here in this particular thread. Let me know why I am getting I above mentioned issue on the computer. Any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Unable to install Nvida driver getting ‘Unable to find the kernel source tree‘ error message

I am unable to figure out why this particular issue is happening. I wanted to which operating system do you have installed? Let me know about the hardware configuration of the computer. Do you have done any changes on the computer? Which version of kernel do you have installed? You told me that you are getting error message on computer so post the content of the error message which you are getting.

Re: Unable to install Nvida driver getting ‘Unable to find the kernel source tree‘ error message

Looking at the situation you should perform the following thing to get the requirement of yours.
    You have to build the kernel on the computer by using following command.
    Code:
    prepare-kernel-sources
    cd /usr/src/linux
    cp -rf include/generated/* include/linux/
    now download the latest version of the drivers and the you have to run the below mentioned command on the computer.
    Code:
    sh nvidiafilename

I am unable to figure out why it is happening but I am suggesting following command which you should run on your system.
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    after doing the same you should try with the following command.
    Code:
    rm /root/.kde/cache-root/icon-cache.kcache
    rm /root/.kde/cache-root/plasma_theme_Volatile.kcache
    rm /root/.kde/cache-bt/icon-cache.kcache
    rm /root/.kde/cache-bt/plasma_theme_Volatile.kcache
    I am hoping that it would be useful to get the requirement of yours.

I am suggesting following steps which you can use to fix the matter of yours.
    You should execute the following commad
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    after doing the same you have run the following one
    Code:
    blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist rivatv
    then you have to remove old drivers from the computer.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*
    now reboot the computer.
    After doing the same you have to run the below mentioned command
    Code:
    root@bt:-$ ls
    Downloads desktop 
    root@bt:-$ cd desktop (or whatever folder u downloaded drivers)
    root@bt:-folderwithdrivers$ sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.36.24-pkg2.run

Well if you are using KDE then you have to go to Setting and you have to see that you have not reload lastly saved configuration on the preloaded desktop. Also you have to install the graphic card driver on the computer of yours and then you should simply restart the computer of yours. once you have done the same you should reboot the computer of yours and then you will be able to fix the matter of yours.