Thread: Startx is failing on the BackTrack 5

Startx is failing on the BackTrack 5

I am new to this particular forum and I wanted to ask very first questions to the users of this particular forum. I am hoping that the users of this particular forum would help me out to get the requirement of mine. I have installed BackTrack 5 on the computer of mine. I have entered StartX command on the computer of mine but I have found the GUI is not loading even it is aborted by prompting with an error message. Let me know whether this particular issue is happening on the computer. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Startx is failing on the BackTrack 5

You should provide appropriate details which would help you out to figure out the root cause of the problem. Let me know which operating system do you have installed on the computer? How are you running on the computer? Tell me about the hardware as well as software setup of the computer of yours. Do you getting any error message on the computer? If your answer is so then post the error message over here. It would be helpful to understand the situation appropriately.

Well looking at the matter I am suggesting that you should simply try to install the vesa driver on the computer of yours. also I recommend that you should provide the content of the /var/log/Xorg.log. you should simply move to the directory which I have mentioned and copy the entire content of the Xorg.log and simply paste the same over here. I would examine the log file and I would give you further assistance in this particular problem.

In order to fix the matter I am suggesting following command which you should execute. i recommend that you should copy and paste and then execute the same.
    Code:
    rm /root/.kde/cache-root/icon-cache.kcache
    rm /root/.kde/cache-root/plasma_theme_Volatile.kcache
    once you have run the above mentiond command and reboot the computer and see whether it is working or not.

I don’t why this problem is happening in the situation of yours. however after doing quick googling I have come across a forum where I have found below command which you should give a try and see whether it making any difference in the situation.
    Code:
    rm /root/.kde/cache-bt/icon-cache.kcache
    rm /root/.kde/cache-bt/plasma_theme_Volatile.kcache
    rm -rf /tmp/vmware-root
    as it is already mentioned by the user of the previous post you have to copy and paste command to avoid errors at time of execution of the command.

I am wondering that you have to simply reinstall the BackTrack on the computer of yours. if still there is no change in the situation then I recommend that you have to contact the developer of this particular program and file a bug report to them. Well the developer would figure out the where exactly the bug is located and fix the same and after fixing the bug they will release the patch which you can apply to get rid out from the above mentioned issue.