Thread: Can we use Bootcamp for games on Steam?

Can we use Bootcamp for games on Steam?

I just bought a MacBook Pro and wondered how and steam game’s only run Windows in Boot Camp. At present, I have about more than 30 games, all of which are Windows only, but Half-Life 2, Portal and TF2. I have an extra disc of Windows 7 on my desktop and it will use to set the Boot Camp utility. I just have a few questions about the process and performance of steam-based games in Boot Camp. I will use Boot Camp for games on Steam only. That said: Is the creation of Boot Camp is worth to bother? How fine are Steam games and Windows running on my Mac? Any trouble that should be measured? How big should my hard drive partition be?

Re: Can we use Bootcamp for games on Steam?

I use 64 bits in Win7 Ultimate Bootcamp for most of my games, and the use of steam for the game works fine as good as any equivalent Windows PC, I guess. I have got lees configurations compared to your system (2.7GHz C2D, nVidia 9600M GT 512MB, 4GB RAM) and most games work very well for me, although sometimes I have to tone down the chart below that I like. My machine does DX10 and DX11 games as well, but okay. I found Dead Space 2 on my machine and it worked fine, so I guess it will be great in yours.

Laptops are not the best for games, but only if you are not running something like Crysis, you should be fine. For now, Windows is still light years better for games of Mac OS X, so Boot Camp is a necessity for players. Also playing on the laptop is not a good habit, as this may damage the keys of your laptop, they are very sensitive. This desktop computer with Windows installed on it, would be preferable.

I think for Macs to get really involved in the Apple world will have to take a more active role and really drive the game development platform. I would believe, given the success of the games in IOS, which would see the benefit. Until then, I think the core of the game increases will slow. Given that you can run Windows on my iMac anyway. But you have to split your game libraries. I hope you understand.

From now on, at least from what I've seen Windows games run a lot, so the Mac games, with some exceptions to be sure. Apple needs to improve their drivers and work on making your operating system much friendlier. The hardware they put into their systems is sufficient for most mid-level games, the software is taking place all over again. So in the near future I hope that Apple will improve their functionality.

I ended up for a while having all my games on Mac, using a combination of Wine and native, cause I got tired of switching back and forth, restarting and such. Of course you can play many games on Mac since Mac supports many games but not all. If used Mac then you need to do many things such as restart, and so on if not running. Thus I think Windows might be more compatible but there are also several issues with it.