Thread: Can't run VirtualBox on ext4 partition in mint linux

Can't run VirtualBox on ext4 partition in mint linux

Hi, I have bought a brand new machine and in that I have installed Linux mint on it with the eXt4 partition, and it is working fine but when yesterday I was trying to install the virtual box on that I was actually unable to do that and was having too many errors. so after that I have search it on internet about this, but didn’t got any solution to this, and I am sure the operating system I am using is good, I mean to say there is no bug for sure, all the drivers are also installed properly.

Re: Can't run VirtualBox on ext4 partition in mint linux

As you have described in the problem, it seem that the operating system us working perfectly in the machine but the problem is In the virtual machine itself, so I would suggest you that you should try another version to install it in your machine, because it might be possible that the version that you are using might have some problem in it, so downloading the new one will surely fix this problem, as you’ll get the whole new software rather than repaired files.

Generally I haven’t seen any such problem in the operating system but still as you’re getting this, so it might be possible that the software that you are using might not have support to run with the file system that you are using, so if you are willing to change it I would suggest you to try that also, I mean you should try to install other file system as EXT3, the software might run on that, and off course you’ll not get any such problem after doing this, but yeah before doing these you must have to make backup of all the important data that you have.

This is very known kernel bug, The host I/O cache should be disable though only for single controller at least and the medium ‘/home/MyUserName/.VirtualBox/HardDisks/Ubuntu_LAMP.vdi’ for this VM is situated on an ext4 division. And you have to do this as soon as possible because it can cause damage in virtual disk image beneath these circumstances. Either you can have another option too like you can allow the host I/O cache enduringly in the VM setting, or put the disk reflection and the snapshot directory onto a dissimilar file system, as mentioned by the above user.

I also have the same opinion as the above user, a either you should change the file system or you can simply disable the cache as the above user mentioned, this option you’ll find in the setting of your SATA controller, where you’ll find the name of your SATA driver and the type and beneath there will be an option called use host I/O cache, so you must have to disable it. And I hope this would work.