Thread: java 6 download failed.

java 6 download failed.

I was using an old version of java on my dell laptop so I thought of updating my java version to the latest version i.e. java 6. But whenever I tried updating it I used to get an error message and due to which I was not able to update it. I tried doing this update for several times but each time I used to get the same error message and was not able to update it then, so I thought of posting this problem here hoping that I will get an solution for this. Is this the problem with all of you? Please help!

Re: java 6 download failed.

Hi I would defiantly like to help you with your problem, but for that I need to ask you some questions i.e. what error message are you getting while you are trying to update your java version? Do you get the same error message every time you try to update your java version? Or is the error message different every time when you try updating? As even one of my friend had a similar problem and used to get different- different error message each and every time he tried to update. Kindly reply me with this so that I can help you.

I appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for it. The error message that I get while updating the java version is:
    "Un-compression of downloaded file failed"
    I get this above message and due to that error message I am not able to update or install the latest java version. And that is the only message that I get every time I try updating the latest java version. Can you please suggest me a way to get this update done?

I think you have not read the note on the java application that says to uninstall your previous java version. As to install the latest java version i.e. java6 you need uninstall your old version that is installed on your dell laptop. As the older version on your laptop wont allow the latest version to get installed. So this could be the reason why you are not able to install the latest java version, so I would request you to uninstall you older version and try installing the latest version this would help.

Hi even I am having a similar problem with my java update. I was trying to update my java version to the latest version but when I tried to install the latest version I got a message that says “un-compression of downloaded file failed" even w/ firewall off & restart? So I tried turning off my firewall and tried to install the java version again but got the same message again. I even tried restarting my computer but even that didn’t work for several times.

I think that you have not uninstalled the java file properly due to which you are asked to uninstall the older java version. You will have to uninstall the file again from "Windows Add or Remove Programs" which you can find at control panel applet. And if still you are not able to uninstall the file you will have to install a uninstaller software called Revo. Revo Uninstaller will help you in uninstalling the older java version on your laptop. Uninstall it and this time you will defiantly able to install the latest java version. Good luck.