Thread: Need help in recognizing missing drivers shown in Device Manager

Need help in recognizing missing drivers shown in Device Manager

Hi. My computer recently crashed, so unfortunately I had to reinstall the Windows XP Operating system in my computer. And the first thing that I did after completing a fresh installation of Windows XP in my computer was installing all the drivers for my hardware. But when I check the Device Manager, I was shocked to find that still few devices like the Network Controller, SM Bus Controller and an Unknown Device was showing the yellow triangle with exclamation mark symbol. So, can anyone help me finding the drivers for these devices? Please help me.

Re: Need help in recognizing missing drivers shown in Device Manager

I would recommend you to use the original Drivers CD which you might have got along with the Motherboard and the other hardware peripherals when you had purchased them. Make sure you are using the original Drivers CD in order to install drivers for your undetected hardware. Or else I would suggest you to go to the device manager and uninstall the devices from your system. Now restart your computer and allow the system to automatically search for the newly added hardware and install the necessary drivers for them.

First, I would suggest you to find out the manufacturer of the devices which are not getting detect in your computer system. Once you have done that, it would be much more easier for you to install the necessary drivers for the particular device you are talking about. You just need to search for that devices driver on Internet and download the drivers file in your system from the download link. Install the drivers and restart your system. That’s it.

Thank you for the replies. I already did the very first suggestion, but it is not helping me. And then I followed the second suggestion, and found that my computer is having ASUSTeK Computer INC. ASUS P5Q-PRO (LGA 775) Motherboard and Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller. So now as I have provided the necessary information, I hope I will be getting a working solution soon. Please feel free to post your suggestions.

So, as you have mentioned that you have got ASUS P5Q-PRO (LGA 775) Motherboard, so I would suggest you to search for your Motherboard’s drivers on Internet and download the files in your system. In order to get a proper working drivers, I would recommend you to visit the official website of Asus and search for the ASUS P5Q-PRO (LGA 775) Motherboard’s drivers there. Select the Operating System for which you want to download the file and install it in your computer. Make sure that you are restarting the system.

I also faced an issue with the SM Bus controller and this is how I fixed it. Visit the official website of Intel and directly download the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility and install the following in your system. Please make sure that you are downloading the drivers for your particular chipset and Motherboard. Also, choose the drivers for Windows XP Operating System. And for the network controller issue, you should download the necessary drivers for the Atheros website.

If deleting the SM Bus Controller and then restarting your computer did not work then you should most probably try to manually install the drivers which are missing from your system.
    • Go to Device Manager and Right click on the SM Bus Controller
    • Select Properties from the right click menu and then go to the Driver tab.
    • Select the Update Driver option. This will start the Hardware Update Wizard.
    • Follow the on screen instructions as per your choice and complete the process.

If you ask me, then I would prefer taking help from someone professional. So, in this situation, you should visit any computer store in the nearby area and ask the technician to help you out solve your problem. They will be able to solve your issue in the most efficient way. It might cost you a little, but the work will be worth it. It is better you don’t end up getting yourself into more troubles in the processes of trying to solve one issue with your system.