Thread: How to stop Skype changing volume and muting other apps

How to stop Skype changing volume and muting other apps

I am using HP laptop with windows 7 in which I use to surf internet daily and from past few days I normally use listen music from online radio, but while listening radio I am facing one issue with Skype messenger. Now whenever I start any call in Skype messenger at that time it decreases the volume of other application and it very irritating for me. is there any way to turn off this feature then please let me know. I am waiting for your replies.

Re: How to stop Skype changing volume and muting other apps

After referring your issue I would like to suggest you that first check whether you are getting this problem with Skype messenger only or you are getting this problem with all other messenger. If you have any other browser in your laptop then try to make calls from there and after that check whether you are getting the same problem or not. If you didn’t get the same problem then I think there might be something wrong with your Skype messenger only.

If you have checked with other messenger and you are not facing the same problem with other messenger then I think you have to uninstall the Skype messenger from your laptop first and after that delete temporary files from your laptop and then you have to download the Skype messenger from internet again. Now after doing that install it again in your laptop and after that check whether same problem is coming or not. I think this will fix your issue.

I have try to make call from other browser while playing the music in other application and when I make call from messenger at that time I get the same problem. I try two or three different browser and all gave me the same issue. is there any possibility of having faulty sound driver in my laptop? I have also tried to check by reinstalling the messenger but that idea didn’t make any difference for me. Now please tell me what I should do to fix this. Please reply me as soon as possible.

I am aware of this problem and this problem occurs because of the windows API. Windows API is a application programming interfaces. Whenever you make call in Skype at that time it will automatically decreases the volume of other applications so that you can do conversation clearly and Windows API reacts every time when you use any voip applications. You can solve this problem by doing setting in your volume control options. I hope this information will be useful for you.

I agree with the above post and you can fix this problem by doing following steps.
    • First of all you have to do right click on the sound icon from your system tray.
    • Now after that click on the playback devices and after that it will open one window,.
    • Now click on the communication tab in that window.
    • And then you have to select do nothing option and then click ok.

After doing that whenever you make any calls from your Skype then it will not decrease volume of any other application.

webseocanada Guest

I am not aware of this knowledge . please tell me about how to delete chat history in skype.??

Quote Originally Posted by webseocanada View Post
    I am not aware of this knowledge . please tell me about how to delete chat history in skype.??
    Well you can simply do it from in few simple steps:
    Login with your ID and Pass. Now go to Tools, Options, Privacy, Privacy Settings, Show advanced options. Here you will find the option to Delete CHat History. If you want to disable it permanently, than do it from "Keep History for, and select no history.

I have tried to fix this issue by following above steps. First I have reinstalled the Skype messenger as I thought this will help me to fix this but after doing that same issue was coming and after that I have done the setting in my play deice option and after doing that now whenever I make calls my system does not decreases the volume of other applications. Your given solution really helped me to fix this issue. Thank you so much for helping me.

To change this behavior, right click the volume control icon in taskbar and select playback devices.

Select the device being used (shows activity in bars on the right) and set as default.

This worked for me in Windows 7 Home Premium and for my son in Windows 7 Ultimate, hope it works for you as well.