Thread: Getting error saying Data Execution Prevention on Skype 5.3

Getting error saying Data Execution Prevention on Skype 5.3

I would mention specifications so that you can know more about this problem. I am using Acer Aspire One having Intel Atom processor and running windows XP operating system. I am using Skype 5.3 version. When I was using Skype then I got an error saying data execution prevention. I ignored this message and then my Skype turned off. I want to solve this issue so please help me by giving necessary solutions to it and explain me about this.

Re: Getting error saying Data Execution Prevention on Skype 5.3

I have found that Data Execution Protection (DEP) is a memory-protection characteristic offered with windows XP and some other OS. IT progress safety actions with a fresh set of Win32 APIs to consent to programmatic power over a process's DEP policy. This will offer application developers with higher control on a process's DEP situation for reliability, security, compatibility, and testability. I guess you understood somewhat of it I mentioned here.

DEP is used to perform the test the memory. It actually protects the system memory against malwares or from some harmful codes. It is actually a set of software as well hardware. Well the problem of data execution you are getting because you would be running the Skype program in compatibility mode. So checks for that right clicking the Skype application shortcut, then go through its properties and see to it that you don’t run in compatibility mode.

You should look for the standard option of data execution prevention in windows XP. You have to go through advance settings of my computer by right clicking my computer. Then from the dialog look for the performance settings from settings tab. There you have to add turn on DEP from the Data execution prevention tab. This would add the Skype application as a exception in windows XP and probably the error won’t come up again.

Just to be certain that this is not the case, you may do the normal “clean-up” procedure. Look that Skype is in fact not running on your laptop. Check it using task manager and end the Skype process. Then use the following command in run dialog %appdata%\skype and hit ok. Go all the way through the whole Skype User folder (including subfolders) and scrub out any files beginning with “temp-“ or ending with “-journal” or with extension .lock. In several measures it may also be essential to delete the shared.xml file, which you will find in the root of the Skype folder.

I guess that this problem would be causing because of some files. So you have to obliterate all .lck files as well the one which is having 0kb size. You should also check for the firewall rules, also the process in task manager. If you find some unknown process then remove it from there by terminating it from there. Then one more thing you should look on is to give some other name to Skype User folder to Skype_old or other. After this when you start the Skype again then new folder would be created.