Thread: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

question windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

so i shutdown my comp at the wrong time and i acquired the previously mentioned error. nothing i do gets me passed this error including but not limited to: "acquiring" a working XP disk, safe mode, last known good config..... idk what else to do my computer is a Dell Optiplex 755 with Windows XP Professional SP3 i have 2gb ram plenty of hd space (500gb internal plus two external 500gb)
    also i can get to my dos screen or w/e its called and im not too much of a newb with the comp i just dont want to have to pay some comp shop the i bought it from 2 years ago 80 bux to do what i can do on my own and btw they reccomend i get a factory disk which they decided not to provide for some freakin reason...... as of now i am borrowing a toshiba laptop with vista and could use some help any and all suggestions no matter how insignificant you may think they are would be greatly appreciated with great thanx in advance

also it should be noted i do not own an original OS disk because i bought a refurbished PC

Re: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

Hey friend, as i can see this is your very first post, i Should Welcome you to Techarena. Next, i would like to make you know that always Search the forum before starting a new query/thread, just to avoid the Duplication. Or Mods may delete your post if it is Duplicated.

Anyways, i can see many Articles with the same Problem and great solutions. You should checkout those, am sure you will get helped:
    How to fix "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt"
    Windows Could Not Start..missing or corrupt...\windows\system32\config\system.

question Re: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

i appreciate the welcome and i must say i did read the other posts and just went over the two links you posted...... and if you read my post thoroughly you will understand that i don't have a OEM disk so there is no booting from disk and finding registry errors.... furthermore i have recently acquired some OEM disks online (dell OEM disk w/XP sp2 and another with sp3) neither of which have given me any hope whatsoever.... as i am currently in the process of determining if yet another acquired OEM disk will work i will tentatively respond.... also i would be grateful to know if i can or can not boot from a dual layer disk or if i must boot from a cd-rom disk