Thread: Want to disable auto update to Skype 5

Want to disable auto update to Skype 5

I am using Skype version 4 on my system. I love using this version of Skype. But the problem here is that it automatically getting updated to Skype 5. I found this when I logged into my system then the auto update feature of Skype started automatically. Actually I would have kept this version on my computer but I don’t like its layout and thus don’t want to use this anymore. So please let me know how I can disable this feature of Skype.

Re: Want to disable auto update to Skype 5

Well I am also using the Skype messenger on my system. I like this version, and even I have also got the auto update option of Skype. When it happened then till now I am using it in my system. I guess the Skype wants to make its users aware of the new version, and therefore they have made such feature which updates the software. I have not tried to disable this feature, but I guess you can look for this option in Skype and disable such.

As you are saying that Skype is getting auto update option. So I guess that it would have updated to the Skype 5. As you don’t like the interface of this version, you can uninstall it from the program list. Doing this would make you to get rid of Skype 5 version. This doesn’t mean that you will have Skype 4 now; you again have to install Skype 4 into your system so that now you can use this version into your system and also love to use the same.

I appreciate all your solution here and you gave me the possible method to get rid of the problem. The main problem here is that there is no option in Skype from which I can disable the auto update feature. Also I tried to uninstall the Skype and then reinstall the version which I want in my system. All things happened well, but the same thing happened again. I.e. it is again automatically getting updated. Now looking for some more solutions.

I have looked into various sites and also in various discussions site about this query. Skype is forcing its users to have a update to a newer version. There is some registry command which is doing all this. so just go to registry editor and find the entries of Skype program. There would be entry for version check you need to edit it and set it to disable mode. I guess this would work for you and after doing this it would not get updated again.

I have also looked for this issue and found that it is a malware and thus due to this it is causing you for auto update. Because of this malware many of the Skype users have made a complaint to Skype about this. And also many of them have stopped using Skype because there was no solution from Skype from long time. You can try disabling the automatic update feature of your operating system so that it would not check for the update of the installed software.

Well you can try for the following trick to stop the automatic update of Skype. Just copy the 4.2.0.169 to the AppData\Local\Temp folder. Next to it delete the “SkypeSetup.exe” that was placed there by Skype. And finally rename the 4.2.0.169 file to SkypeSetup.exe. It is a trick, just try for it many this help you to solve the problem causing on your system. because of this the malware would not update the Skype because this would make it ineffective.

Hello Brumby45,

I too am irritated with the position Skype has taken that automatic updates can be foisted on me without warning or permission especially after their EasyBits game channel fiasco, so here’s what I’ve done to try to disrupt their update process.

I discovered the name of the file they were downloading and not only deleted it but created a 0 length file with the same name (details below). I then opened the permissions for that file and added user “Everyone” and “denied” all access to that user effectively making that file inaccessible to everyone except the file owner … ME.

So far Skype Automatic Update hasn’t said anything ... Your (our) mileage may vary.

The details:

First, cancel the Automatic Update request.

Next, discover the name of the file Skype downloaded and delete it (Remember the name though – write it down!) ... I used “Windows Key+R” (Run) and gave it %Temp% as the search argument to find “SkypeSetup.exe” in my C:\Users\”YourName”\AppData\Local\Temp folder. Right click and delete it. Now look for any zero length files in your temp folder and make a copy of one of them, renaming it to SkypeSetup.exe or whatever filename Skype used on your system.

Now the tricky part. Right click on the new file you just created and ask for properties. Next left click the security tab then left click the advanced button. Now left click “Change Permissions” and then “Add”. Enter “Everyone” (without the quotes) where it sez’, “Enter the object name to select (examples):” and click “OK”. Now check the “Deny” box for “Full control” and click “OK”.

Your system should complain mightily about how you just denied access to that file for everyone and only the owner can access that file now … click “OK” … that’s exactly the way you want it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusumanjali
    I am using Skype version 4 on my system. I love using this version of Skype. But the problem here is that it automatically getting updated to Skype 5.
    You have to find out what url the update is coming from,ONCE YOU DO YOU CAN ADD AN ENTRY TO YOUR HOST FILE AND BLOCK IT....

127.0.0.1 <addresss here>

Good luck!