Thread: ISO compression rate before quality loss becomes noticeable

ISO compression rate before quality loss becomes noticeable

Hi I have a very good PC with very good rid that I had bought around one month ago, and I have so many movie files saved in my hard drive, and they all are in the very good quality, thus the size of each file is too large, so I have decided that I will compress them so I can manage the capacity of my hard disk, but once as I compress one movie the quality became too poor to see, so my question is like how much compression should we apply in order to get the best quality in the smaller size? Any idea?

Re: ISO compression rate before quality loss becomes noticeable

See I would say being able to observe quality thrashing, we have to observe very hardly, because it differ from video to video and is based upon the actual type of video, but as you have mentioned that the videos that you have has a very good quality, I am assuming they are DVD rip formats, so if you have the same you can compress it till the ¾ of the part, I mean to say if you have a movie of a size 1000 MB, you can compress it till 750MB, after that quality loss would be notice able.

Exactly the same view as the above user, the mentioned ratio is too good, and if suppose you found that you are not getting any glitch then you can off course reduce its size further to see the change in the quality. And by the way the quality matter due to so many factors while compressing the movies such as fast motion VS still shots, the frequency that it used, the bit rates and the FPS that you use while conversion. Thus if you control this also you can reduce the size further also.

See if you already has the files in the formats like AVI and MKV, I would suggest you that you should not compress them, or else definitely, you’ll going to lose the quality. Or simply the best option would be to use use a program like DVD Shrink and lower the quality of the video files that you have. And if you search it on the internet you’ll get many software for doing these operation, according to me you should use the DVDRebuilder, it has a very good capability to re-encode the entire disk, and the compression is also good. Thus you should try that first, and see whether the quality decreases or not and then make some other changes while compressing the files.

According to me if you don’t want to lose the quality of the movie rather, you can make use of the codec for these, there are many you can find on the internet, they are actually made for these purpose only, such as whenever we compress any movie files, it just take care of all the associated things which is concern able. CCE Encoder is also good software you can use this also. I would say while compressing the files codec participate a very important position in functioning of a audio and video files.