Thread: printing a word document automatically updates fields

printing a word document automatically updates fields

Hey,

When i try to print a word document it automatically updates my fields- despite the fact i have this option switch off under the Print options- however this is not the main issue;

When it updates it randomly inserts a figure which appears elsewhere in the document, however it does this about 8-9 times over the last 10 pages (document is ~35pages long).

I have been using the Review panel to make edits between co-authors, however it doesnt make a difference whether i view it in Final/Original mode etc. No matter how many times i remove these figures every time i try to print it re-inserts them.

I have tried copying the section i want to print and it continues to do this in a new document.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Timpy

Re: printing a word document automatically updates fields

To manually update the fields in the main body of the document, press F9 from within the field. To update all fields when you print the document, select the Update Fields check box on the Print tab (on the Tools menu, click Options). Automatic updates are not retained until you save the document.

Thanks for the reply, but as i said, i know how to update the fields both individually and all together. the problem is that when i go to print the fields are automatically updated (despite this option being turned off) and at the same time multiple copies of the same figure are inserted into the document randomly.

My question is why are these figures being inserted and how can is top it? Doesnt matter how many time i delete them, they reappear as soon as the fields are updated.

Thanks

yes that's a very simple solution for you, see in your above posts it is mentioned that "To update all fields when you print the document, select the Update Fields check box on the Print tab" so if you do not want the files to be updated just uncheck the option that of update all fields and your problem will be solved such a simple solution for you, i hope you have understood, what i am trying to say here.

Hey, Thanks, but i am fully aware of how to switch this feature on and off as stated in my original post

"When i try to print a word document it automatically updates my fields despite the fact i have this option switched off under the Print options"

I dont mind if it updates or not- the issue is the random insertion of a figure 8/9 times into the text. I do not understand why this is happening? I suspect it has to do with the use of captions with each figure and subsequent "cross-references" in the text, but it is not apparent.

But thank you for your words.

Timpy