Thread: Libav or ffmpeg which is better

Libav or ffmpeg which is better

I purchased a PC last month. The Os installed in my PC is gentoo. I normally use PC for gaming, downloading movies, internet surfing and especially for chatting. I just wanted to download software or a tool that is used to record, convert and stream audio and video. I have option for the same i.e. Libav. I heard some recent news about ffmpeg and libav but I am confused. Is libav the future of ffmpeg or is it just a fork that develops new features which is to be merged into ffmpeg. Can someone please clarify this issue to make a conscious choice between ffmpeg and Libav? Is anyone aware about this issue? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: Libav or ffmpeg which is better

The issue that you have posted is quite interesting. Libav is a tool to record, convert, stream and run multimedia content including libavcodec and libavformat. The information that you have provided is incomplete for me to give the further suggestions. I just want you to be more specific. The only match to “libav” that I could notice is “libavc1394” which is different from ffmpeg. I need more information form you related to this topic after I get this information I will provide you with the necessary suggestion that you require.

After reading your post I came to know about your issue. I don’t have much information about the issue but I will try to help you as much as I can. According to me libav is a fork. There were some people who were trying to take over ffmpeg but it didn’t work out. So they decided to fork ffmpeg which they wanted to name it as libav. According to me to choose anyone between them is a complicated task. I would recommend you to go for ffmpeg because it has multi- threading decoding and it is also having more video filters.

Many people have discussed this issue previously with me. It is quite a confusing issue that you are facing. It is a difficult task to go for a new fork as compared to the ffmpeg which is trusted by many people. Libav is developed and organized by a ligation- happy group of thugs. I don’t trust their software so would advise you to go for ffmpeg rather than the new fork. Now it all depends on you to make an appropriate decision between the two.

I am grateful to you for all the responses that you gave me to overcome the issue. After reading you suggestions I believe that libav is technically a fork. I don't have much knowledge about this situation to select any one from the two. I am still using the old ffmpeg but I will try to revaluate it after few months. I just had one more issue that I wanted to discuss with you. Is it possible to install both the tools at a time? I wanted to try it out. If it is possible then please inform me about it and what are the procedures for resolving the dependencies?

The issue that you have posted is not complicated. I will definitely try to resolve your confusion and will provide you the necessary solution that you require. It is not possible to install both the tools simultaneously. When you install one of them the other one will get automatically blocked. You need to manually mask one of them. For resolving the issues related to dependencies you need to execute following commands:
    echo "media-video/libav" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
    echo "virtual/ffmpeg threads" >> /etc/portage/package.use
    After you execute the commands your emerges i.e. ffmpeg or libav will be set back to normal. Try this out and inform me about the consequences.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and responses that you have given me to overcome the issue. I performed all the steps and procedure that was specified by you. I came to know the exact cause of the issue and it has been resolved now. Previously I had discussed this issue with my colleagues but unfortunately they were not aware about such issues so they were unable to help me out. Without your help and support it was impossible for me to overcome this issue.