Thread: how to configure Brightmail

how to configure Brightmail

Hii ,I have just opened up a small business and have many clients contacting me through internet (via mail) . So, I am thinking of setting up software that would filter spam’s messages out, and allow only Levitate mails to enter the server. So I have installed a program called Brightmail to catch and sort out e-mails of specific address (like example@something.com) so when a admin or a user from my company log’s in he could be able to decide whether to approve or deny it’s access. I also sometimes get a error named timeout error occurred due to inactivity .

Re: how to configure Brightmail

You have chosen a good software for filtering your e-mail out, it not only provides scanning of incoming and out bound messages but also help one to reduce spam’s, and provides a user with advanced filtering data with encryption for the email. You can always read the official manual that comes with it when you purchase the software. Are you using the trial version or have you purchased it. I am asking this because the free version has limited functionality.

You can do that with the help form Symantec Brightmail Gateway by creating a policy which would allow only certain extension of e-mail to enter your system rest all would be stored into a folder name specified by you. This would be stored there until and unless the user having sufficient rights log’s in to it and decides the future of that mail. This further means that he would have some more advanced option like delete the message and inform the sender about the deletion of his messages.

So I am assuming you that you are going through MTA (Mail transfer agent) for filtering your mails. So first check if your MTA is in working condition. To check this you need to go to Administrator and then to hosts after that click on the configuration tab below it and then select the hostname in the services tab just below it. TO check it working telnet port no25 on the incoming interface and check if it succeeds.

Ideally the firewall should also forward links bound to the public ip address and your Mx entry has inturn has an ip address of SBG. To see the inbound IP address of SBG use the SMTP connections, this allows you to take advantage of IP standing and link control feature that will discontinue most of the spam at the connection stage. I also suppose that there is a miss-configuration in the Port rule.