Thread: How to erase media directly without expiring image

How to erase media directly without expiring image

Is there any command to delete the media directly, without the care of the images will expire (if not the required data)? Not found any command, so he decided to expire and delete images using the media bpexpdate command, but also throw an error message. Error message "requested media id is not assigned to this team in the emm database." If anyone knows any proper command then please share it with me I am waiting for your replies thank you.

Re: How to erase media directly without expiring image

You do not include erasing the media within NetBackup, but for you particularly would like to destroy the contents of the tape used for security reasons. On one occasion a medium has expired through bpexpdate its "clean / erased" from the point of view of NetBackup. Or at least, is obtainable for utilize through the next backup run. The data are nevertheless still on the tape is overwritten subsequent to the next backup runs. I hope this will clear your some doubt. Thank you.

The media are trying to win, must be in a vacant, which means that the media is not assigned to any backup image. Bpexpdate - terminate image particular backup image catalog or it terminate the media all the way through the catalog (remove the EMM database) are not deleted the data resting on the tape. Running next backup, NetBackup observe the tape as a latest volume of backup and overwrites it.
    Command to erase the data within the tape
    bplabel -erase -l -m <media_ID> -d <density> -p <Volume_pool> -host media_server

Hello thank you for this nice explanation. According to your suggestion I tried with this command. But when I tried this command its shows me some syntax error. Which is I am not able to understand. Basically, it’s trying with the combination of options. So I don’t think so it’s useful. If you are having any additional solution or command for this then please share that command with me. I am sure that you will provide me appropriate solution anyways thank you for your nice effort.

Hello I don’t know why it’s not working for you I was facing similar kind of issue. But then I go through this post and I follow this command and it’s helpful for me. It’s easily work for me. So I will suggest you to check it for another time. Make in no doubt you denote the media density proper.
    # ./bplabel -erase -l -m RZDP01 -d hcart3 -p Duplicate -host RIZBKP1
    Media is previously NetBackup configure, media id = RZDP01, then it will ask you erase it y/n (n)? So choose Y once you choose Y it will Beginning tape erase. This possibly will obtain a while. And then it will publish message that Erase is complete.

Hello thank you for your reply and its really useful help for me. I tried this for another time today and it’s really helpful for me. Basically I was facing problem with media density. I was not able to set media density appropriately. So then I search about this on internet and then I found some solution on how to set media density so according to that I set the media density. And now it’s working for me. Thank you all who take great effort to solve this issue.