Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Working with nvidia drivers on fedora 15

Windows Software

Old 26-05-2011

Working with nvidia drivers on fedora 15

Well, I am having a Nvidia GTX 460 graphics card installed in my system with Windows 7 running as well. I have also installed Fedora 15 on my system but I am looking for a way how to install the nvidia drivers on this operating system. Is it really simple to install the nvidia drivers on this linux system. If so then can anyone tell me a step by step procedure how to do it? Thanks

Old 26-05-2011

Re: Working with nvidia drivers on fedora 15

First of all try to updae the ketnel and then restart:
Code:
su
yum update kernel\* selinux-policy\*
reboot
Now install the right nvidia driver for your graphics card. You can use akmod which is the best option since you dont get any issues when a new kernel is released:
Code:
 su
yum --nogpgcheck install   http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm     http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm     
yum install akmod-nvidia-304xx xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-304xx-libs.i686
After that ensure to remove nouveau from initramfs:
Code:
su
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
Now simply restart your pc. Thats it
Old 26-05-2011

Re: Working with nvidia drivers on fedora 15

I have recently made a clean installation of Fedora 15 on my pc. After that I tried to install nvidia drivers using AKmod but when trying to install the PAE it started giving me some kind of errors. When I restart the pc then it will only go to the point where splash screen loads up fedora icon and will stay on it, I wont get any login window. I have also tried to get this to work with the release candidate but still the same thing happens.
Old 30-05-2011

Well, I am using F15_64 with RPMFusion Free along with the nonfree repositories. I also used the akmod so that the driver can automatically recompile with each kernel update. You can try to follow the below link that might solve the issue of installing the drivers. It is for Fedora 14 but it still works with Fedora 15.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , , ,