Thread: How to download Apple Hardware test for iMac 7.1

How to download Apple Hardware test for iMac 7.1

I purchased a laptop last month. I normally use laptop for internet surfing, gaming, downloading movies and especially for chatting. But yesterday I bought a used iMac 7.1 having OS MAC OS X in it. It was without installation disks. I up-graded the HD and because of that the original hardware test is unavailable. I want to download apple hardware test 3A125 but I don’t know how to do that. I tried a lot but failed to do that. Is anyone aware about such issues? If yes then please inform me about the download procedure.

Re: How to download Apple Hardware test for iMac 7.1

The issue that you posted is quite interesting. To download apple hardware is not a complicated task you can easily do that. Since you are not having much knowledge about downloads and you are not used to it this can be reason you are finding such issues complicated. I am also not having much knowledge about apple hardware test because I haven’t tried this before. I never needed apple hardware test for my iMac so I am not aware about its download. May be some else can overcome this issue for you.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. As you said that you bought a used iMac 7.1 but you want to download apple hardware test 3A125. I think this is not a good for your iMac because AHT 3A125 is much older AHT for your iMac. You won’t be satisfied with it. I think you should go for AHT 3A141. It is the most up to date apple hardware test for your iMac. For information related to download I think you should for that on internet. I haven’t tried this before but I will definitely try to acquire information about its download and inform you about it

The issue that you have posted is not complicated. Upgrading the HD removed the original hardware test available in it. You can easily install the AHT again in your iMac. For that you need to restart your iMac and press ‘D’ key on your keyboard during startup. If AHT was removed by reformatting the hard-drive or you cannot open it from your hard drive then you only use AHT from “iMac OS X Install Disc 1”. But you are not having it so you need to get that from someone else. After you get that DVD install it into the optical drive of your iMac and then restart the system press and hold ‘D’ key on the keyboard. After performing this procedure the AHT gets installed in your system.

Thanks a lot for all the responses that you have given me to overcome the issue. I performed the complete procedure that you specified and it was successful. AHT got successfully installed in my system without any difficulty. Previously I discussed this issue with my colleagues but they were not having any knowledge about this issue. I have one more issue that I wanted to discuss with you. I don’t know how to see which model number of hardware test is installed in my system. Do you the solution for this issue? If yes then please let me know about it.

After apple hardware test is successfully installed in your system then it is not much complicated to view the model number of AHT. For you need to perform some steps in your system. The steps that need to be performed are as follows:
    1. First go to Apple menu and choose the option” About this Mac”
    2. After that click on more info
    3. Finally under Hardware Overview you can see” Model Identifier”. This is the model number of the AHT installed in your system. You can also up-grade the AHT in your system by clicking on the option “update”. Perform these steps and inform me about the consequences.