Thread: Server Active Directory not installing

Server Active Directory not installing

Hi, I am working in a school, where there is a network that has a file server running Windows Server NT and another domain server running Windows server 2003 with Active Directory for user authentication. Since the NT server died, I just replaced it with the windows server2008 R2, I want the new server that’s the windows server 2008 to be a domain controller on the existing domain. How do I make it? Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Server Active Directory not installing

Ok, I got it, I am assuming that the domain controllers are installed in the windows server 2003, and as you want to handle it through the new server, I would first recommend you to uninstall all the active directory from the existing server because you cannot make both the computers as a domain for the same network, and after uninstalling it from that operating system, install it in the windows server 2008 R2. You have to install some drivers which you’ll get it from the media disk, that you have get it with the setup.

Yeah off course it is possible to install the additional domain controllers to an existing domain to provide fault acceptance, improve service availability, and to balance the load of existing domain controllers, and it is the good idea in fact, rather than installing the new domain. After giving the domain name you have to run ADPREP/FORESTPREP this program, this is the message that you’ll get while you’re giving the domain name, this is same as ADPREP.EXE which you’ll find in the disk which you have get with Windows server 2008.

you have to follow certain steps to install the domain controller in the existing one, follow this steps, first of all Open the Active Directory Installation Wizard, you’ll get the domain controller type page, on that, click Additional domain controller for an existing domain , and then click Next button. The new window will appear called network credentials page, fill all the information which is mentioned there, such as user name, password, and user domain etc. And after that click next. On the other page enter the full DNS name of the existing domain and then click next. The next page will appear called the Database and Log Folders, type the location where you want to install the Data Base and the log folders and them again click on next. The next page will appear with the name Shared System Volume, on that browse the location where you want to install the Sysvol folder and the click next. The page that will appeared that’s Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password will be the last page for confirming the password you had assigned to this server's Administrators account, click next, and if you want to see the summary page you can see, other you can begin the installation. After that restart the compute thus the settings takes effect.

That’s very good if you’re planning to install it on the existing domain, but I would still suggest you to create a new child domain in an existing domain tree, because you’ll get more benefit then what you’re expecting. I hope you must be aware, but let me tell you that before installation you have to extending the schema in Windows Server 2008 by running ADPREP this software, that you’ll get with the setup only, and there are many other concern able issues, according to me you should follow that before installing, you can simply get it from internet, or may be from the user guide provided in the disk itself.

While installing in the existing domain, make sure that the server on which you will be installing Active Directory has an NTFS partition, otherwise you again won’t be able to perform this action. And along with this also consider some review concepts about security and other options available and this all you’ll get while you are using Active Directory Installation Wizard. And the most importantly verify the domain, the existing domain what you’re going to user before installing the active directory.