Thread: Scam call from team viewer

Scam call from team viewer

Hey guys my wife was on my new computer when the phone rang and I was not present at the time of the call. There was an Asian guy saying your computer was tainted with viruses and junk files and told him to get a box to type in, at that time had control over the mouse and was doing all sorts of things, there was a black box to run something and the mouse pointer goes everywhere like opening the start menu, opening run and then type something in the Run and then had a black box with things in this movement. Any ideas guys, I'm up the wall and in the end he was trying to sell something to your anti-virus for £ 150.Please need help for this.

Re: Scam call from team viewer

In general, they get you to open the event viewer and tell you the mistakes or some errors that means that something is wrong to your computer, and then they ask either for remote access or request data from your credit card to fix it. Thus in this way they may have put something into your system. I'm surprised how they managed to get remote access, and when I try with the Windows tool, it never works. So always be careful with all this things.

My brother's mother-in-law had a recent call from someone claiming to be a virgin support broadband and told that I had a problem with connection. She started to follow your instructions until you reach the part where she would give permission to control your PC. Then she hung up the phone restart the PC and made a call to Virgin. Virgin said they had no knowledge of any of this and no faults are present in your connection. So after all someone was trying to fool them and may access the data they needed. These guys are devious cyber criminal!

Teamviewer is very good software made to remotely control the system. But people have misused its use. So whenever you get a call from it never receive and even if you receive, then don’t follow any of the instructions they tell you to perform. It can be a fake call by someone made to get access to your system. If you have done what they have told you to do then just format the drive for the safest side. Because the person who have controlled your computer may have accessed some data or might have inserted some viruses or any unknown files into your system. So beware of all such things.

My mother accidentally managed to set a password on her new laptop. Since she did not have the first clue of what she had done, or what she did, so she needed to reset to its factory state. So I rang HP support, they were fabulous, as I'm 80 miles away and did not know how to perform the reset.
    About a week later I received a phone call from "HP Technical Support" who had "detected a large amount of virus on her machine. Fortunately, at that moment she was still so confused that he could not understand what the gentleman was asking to click, and when she did understand was unable to place the cursor and clicking the right place! In the end, did not get very far - still reduced to tears of my mother panicked and suddenly said: "I have to get my daughter to do this she is a computer expert”. The scammer didn’t got any doubts and he never called again. So from that day my mother didn’t follow any instructions from team viewer caller and she used to call immediately the company about which those scammers were talking about. So in this way you can aware of such fake calls.

See there are many hackers who try to attack your computer but it’s not an easy task. So people use team viewer software which help them to remotely operate someone’s computer in order to get some details. Well this is good software but people misuse it. Thus team viewer just works and can be installed/uninstalled like other programs. So the only solution is that never to fall in anyone’s instructions but your own only.

I got the call too and i opened the event viewer like the scammer said. He then tried to direct me to website and download something. I did not go the website and i hung up and disconnected from net. My question is this just by opening the event viewer could i have been compromised? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by jknee View Post
    I got the call too and i opened the event viewer like the scammer said. He then tried to direct me to website and download something. I did not go the website and i hung up and disconnected from net. My question is this just by opening the event viewer could i have been compromised? Thanks in advance!
    Well, as you have already said that you didnt give any information regarding the details from the event viewer so you are safe. They usually need the event viewer details to get information to login to your computer and get all the credit card/debit card details that you have stored in your pc. But since you havent answered any of their queries then there is no problem.

smile Re: Scam call from team viewer

these guys i think are good and they actually removed the resolved all the issues of my computer.... my computer used to run rreally slow but now runs like a new one .... they are genius..... I thank all of them.... thanks to all of them....