Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cross Reference is not updating automatically in Word 2007

Windows Software

Old 14-05-2011

Cross Reference is not updating automatically in Word 2007

Well I have installed Microsoft Office 2007 on the computer of mine. The tooltip on the Cross Reference in word 2007 is stating that the Cross Reference would automatically update if any of the content is move to any of the location. However it did not seems to happening. I am unable to figure out why Cross reference is not updating automatically? I am waiting for the prompt replies of yours in this particular matter. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 14-05-2011

Re: Cross Reference is not updating automatically in Word 2007

I think I know the root cause of the problem why this particular problem is occurring. Some of the fields are not the display field. I mean to say that they were unable to perform the calculation. Such field are showing results if you have not updated anything for it. That particular field are AUTONUM, AUTONUMLGL, AUTONUMOUT, BARCODE, and EQ. some specific fields are supposed to update when you are supposed to print or preview document into respective application.
Old 14-05-2011

I am not sure that steps which I have mentioned over here is useful to you or not but you can try the same and see let me know whether it is working or not.
  • You have to click on the Microsoft Office Button and simply look for the Word Options.
  • Now Click on the Display.
  • Now you have to click on the Update fields before printing checkbox and click on the Ok button.
Old 14-05-2011

I am suspecting that the Tooltip is seems to be wrong. I think you have misconception regarding this particular thing. Well according to me you did not require to retype the numbers the Microsoft Word would fix the matter for you. However there should be user intervention on the thing. well you should press the CTRL + A to select the entire document and Press F9 from the keyboard in order to update the fields. So try the same and let me know whether it is working or not.
Old 14-05-2011

It is already mentioned that the you can update the cross reference by simply switching to the Print Preview. Then simply go to the Favorite View. You can Ctrl + F2 as toggle between the same. It seems to be a good option for the printing as well as making a PDF document in case you have forgotten to update the fields in the Microsoft Word 2010. I let you know that the Tooltip is correct however it is not dynamic.
Old 16-05-2011

I let you know that the Cross Reference would break if you have added a new paragraph on the word document of yours at the beginning of the heading. In order to prevent you have to enter the new paragraph by simply entering the at the previous paragraph. Also make sure that you have press enter after ending of the each and every section. It would help you to maintain the cross reference as your document grows.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,