Thread: Got error while saving the Excel file located in network folder , “access denied contact your administrator”.

Got error while saving the Excel file located in network folder , “access denied contact your administrator”.

Hi, I am using the windows 2003 server in my office and I have my personal laptop too, and I used to use the excel for making the new entries and updating t he existing records. But don’t know from the last two days I am getting the error while I save my records it says“ Access denied, contact your administrator “, the main file that contains all the data is located at the server which is in my office. So from that day I have to keep the records in the different file as I am not able to save, what shall I do? Any suggestion?

Re: Got error while saving the Excel file located in network folder , “access denied contact your administrator”.

The problem you have mentioned sounds like rights issue, have the server administrator restricted you? I mean to say, have they put some access rights on the file you are accessing? You should first make sure that they haven’t put rights, because in that they can give you the permission for just reading purpose or for the both like, reading and writing. And if they have given some rights for reading only, you cannot write anything on that file, means you can’t update that file.

Re: Got error while saving the Excel file located in network folder , “access denied contact your administrator”.

The other reason behind this is like the connection might be lost during updating the file, so I would suggest you t check that the drive is perfectly mapped or not? Because if the drive that contains the file is not mapped with your computes drive, it would give the error. You can also have the another option that you can update the file from the office itself, I would rather suggest you to update it from the office instead from your place.

You can take those update to the office in any other portable device and from there you can update it, as it is the only way of updating , you have mentioned that you have to keep separate file for the update you have made, as if suppose that files will be deleted than what will you do? So rather keeping it in different file, update it from the office itself, as I mentioned you can carry it in the device to your office.

It might be possible that the file you are trying to update is being deleted from the server and still you’re trying to update it, so might prompt some error, or might be possible that the file has been moved somewhere else, I mean to say in other directory so it won’t save the file as you first have to move it to the original directory, where it was firstly kept, then I hope you won’t get the error.

You can make the changes through different user too. Are you a member of another group too? Because the MS excel might give the error for such a group, who do not have the permission to modify the document, even after you have the permission. So try to save the file from the different group, if you have account there too. Otherwise you have to make the account first and then only you will be able to save the file.