Thread: Getting Error message while creating Pivot table in Excel 2007: ‘data source reference is not valid’

Getting Error message while creating Pivot table in Excel 2007: ‘data source reference is not valid’

I have installed Microsoft Office 2007 on the computer of mine. Well I am looking to create Pivot table on the computer of mine. however I am trying to do it is prompting with an error message on the computer of mine. The error message can be stated as follow ‘data source reference is not valid’. Let me know if you are having anything particular solution to fix the matter of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Getting Error message while creating Pivot table in Excel 2007: ‘data source reference is not valid’

I want to know what kind of table while doing Pivot table on the Excel 2010. Also I want to know on which data you are wanted use? If you are trying to do Pivot table on the basis of the Excel range and simply include the header row with using unique non blank values in each and every cell. In case you are supposed to use external data source than you need to provide information regarding the external data source.

Re: Getting Error message while creating Pivot table in Excel 2007: ‘data source reference is not valid’

I was having the same problem which you mentioned over here. However I have managed to fix the problem of mine.
    • You have to click on the Home and then go for Prepare and then go for Inspect Document.
    • Now you should remove all the unwanted references and XML forms from the computer.
    • After doing the same you should refreshed the Pivot table and see whether it is working or not.

The problem which you have mentioned can be happening due to following reasons. This particular error message popup on the screen when you have not selected the correct range before clicking on the Pivot table. You should choose the range of the data on the spreadsheet and you have to insert the ribbon and simply click on the Pivot table. Also if you are having any blank cell selected then also you might face the above mentioned problem while creating Pivot table on Excel.

You can get rid of the above mentioned problem by simply using the following instruction.You should launch the Excel on the computer and then go for Spreadsheet and simply click on the View and go for New Window. Now you should save the spreadsheet by using new name. so try the same and let me know about the results, I am hoping that it would be helpful to resolve the problem of yours.

Many times I have seen that such problem happens due to corruption of the files of this particular program. So I recommend that you should try with reinstalling the software on the computer. Well you should uninstall the software and then make an attempt to install the same on the computer. Make sure that you have restarted the computer after installing the Microsoft Office on the computer of yours. Let me know whether it is working or not.