Thread: Yum is freezing getting error message ‘Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile’

Yum is freezing getting error message ‘Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile’

I have installed CentOS on the computer of mine. I am looking to install RubyGems on the computer of mine. So I have executed the below mentioned command on the terminal and it is prompting with the error message on the computer screen. I am totally clueless why this particular problem is occurring on the computer of mine. Any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Yum is freezing getting error message ‘Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile’

Well there could be number of reasons which could the root cause of the problem so I am asking following questions which you should answer to fix the matter of yours. Let me know which version of the CentOS do you have installed on the computer? Can you tell me which version of the yum do you have installed on the computer? you have posted that you are getting an error message on the screen so post the entire error message which you are getting on the computer? Answer the above mentioned question as early as possible so that I can let you know about the possible solution to fix the problem of yours.

Re: Yum is freezing getting error message ‘Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile’

I am suggesting following steps which you can use to diagnose the root cause of the problem.
    • Well you should execute the below mentioned command on the terminal.
    • Code:
      strace -f ls –l
    • it will trace the kernel system calls and –f would trace the sub process with fork/exec.
    • Also you can run the below mentioned command on the terminal and see whether it is working or not.
    • Code:
      Ltrace
    • It traces the C library function calls.
    • So try the same and let me know about the results.

I was having the same problem which you have mentioned over here I am suggesting the following command which you can use to fix the matter of yours.
    Code:
    su -c 'rm -rf /var/lib/rpm/__db*'
    su -c 'rpm --rebuilddb'
    su -c 'yum check-update'
    after executing the above mentioned command you should reboot the computer of yours.

I think you need to reinstall the yum on the computer of yours. Well you should reinstall the yum and see whether it is working or not. If it is not working then you need to upgrade the yum on the computer of yours. Well you should execute the below mentioned command on the terminal and see whether it is working or not.
    Code:
    yum upgrade
    Also share the experience of yours so that other users can learn from the same.

I am not sure but the problem which you have mentioned over her is happening due to bug issue. So I recommend that you should contact the developer and file a bug issue. Well you should provide the information regarding the computer of yours and the problem which you are getting on the computer. The developer team would work around on the situation and fix the bug and they would release a patch on the computer of yours.