Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

My document folder in Windows 7 changes to "username" in server 2003

Windows Software

Old 10-05-2011

My document folder in Windows 7 changes to "username" in server 2003

Hello friends. Greetings to all of you out there. Well, in windows 7, group policy redirects users "my documents" to \\server\share\username. User is able to log on and there are no issues. However,rdp to the server in windows server 2003 navigate to the folder "E:\share\" and the folder is named as "username" nevertheless from my windows 7 machine if I browse to \\server\share\ I am unable to see any folder as username, it is named as "my documents". Any suggestions friends. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-05-2011

Re: My document folder in Windows 7 changes to "username" in server 2003

Hi mate. I am fine and doing well. After reading the above query, I would like to bring to your notice that whatever you have noted down in the thread is not an error or something, it is a normal behavior. In any case if you browse the share from the client it will display as the "friendly" name as an alternative of the NTFS folder name, in view of the fact that Windows recognizes this is the folder which is the target of your redirection policy. I hope you understand the things now.
Old 10-05-2011

Hi dude. I imagine that the above reply has been stated in a very well manner. I would like to tell you that it can be very exasperating for admins , nevertheless not more often than not for users. I would advise you that you should give a try and access it passing through a dissimilar share name i.e. for example I can say moreover share the identical folder with a diverse name or share a folder one level on top of it. That should enable you to browse to the right place if you require to.
Old 10-05-2011

Hey according to me, how much I know even in any case you browse to a higher share and then drill down it will continue displaying the friendly name and not the NTFS name, although only for some folders and not for each and every folder. Also, in any case, you rdp to the server and try to find the find the folders, the ones that display the friendly names in windows 7 have a unlike folder icon. I hope my post helps you in some way or the other. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2011

The My Documents folder is a constituent of the user profile which is used as a unified location in order to store individual information. By evasion, the My Documents folder is a folder in the user's profile which is used as a defaulting storage space place for the saved documents. Optionally, an administrator can make use of a folder redirection in a group policy in order to adjust the location of My Documents to exist on a network share. When users save documents to the My Documents folder, the files are really saved on an assigned network setting and can be backed up by the administrator.
Old 11-05-2011

Hey mate, How are you. I am fine and going great . Hoping that things are panning out well at your end. Well, after reading the above replies, I feel that you must have got sufficient information about the scheme of the things. However, one thing that I could not view is that, I believe that such a thing is happening because of registry and you will be able to solve it by making changes in the registry.Do give a try and then see if you are able to see any differences. Thanks.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,