Thread: Roxio creator is not able to recognize external dvd/rw drive

Roxio creator is not able to recognize external dvd/rw drive

hello i am running my laptop on windows vista. the internal cd/dvd drive had stopped working a while ago and since then i was not able to use it so i bought an external cd/dvd drive and it plays all the dvds i put in it. but that kept a side when i tried to to create a data disc using the roxio creator on my external drive the application did not recognize the external drive or show in the options even though i tried entering a blank disc inside of it. it always seems to be asking to insert the disc into the internal drive. is there a solution for this please advice as i am unable to take back ups.

Re: Roxio creator is not able to recognize external dvd/rw drive

hey there this is a new one let me get it right you have put an external drive on your laptop which has a broken internal drive and you are using roxio to burn the disc but it is unable to detect the external attached on your laptop so what i recommend is you should try installing any drives which might have come with the drive and then restart your laptop/note book and try to burn the disc again let me know if this works for you.

that is a great idea but i do not think that will work as there are no need for driver for the external drive's drivers on the laptop as it is using the windows as its operating system. there are native river available for the external drive into vista as there are other plug and play drivers on the system. there is a possibility of so other kind of error you must try to look up a little more on this.

i think there can be an issue with the drive you have bought. sure there are native support built into the system for such extensions for drives but if the drive is working fine when reading the dvds and not when you use the roxio creator for burning the discs then. there seems to be some other issue you must try to plug in the usb connection on some other port on the note book and try making it work.

there where same kind of issues when i was trying to install a new external drive i bought for my desktop and downloaded roxio for burning. the drive was not showing up there. but i tried to make it work for a few days and still was not able to make any progress over it. so i stopped using the roxio creator and installed the nero and it detected the drive ever since then i have been using nero instead of roxio. i recommend you the same and best to of luck to make it work i know it can be a pain some times.

you can do all that or you could try reading the manual of the external drive you purchased. that also can be help full some time. definitely try changing the usb port and changing the software on your laptop but i have been using the roxio for quite a while and there is no difference between it and nero. if it is not able to detect the drive then how can nero do it. go to my computer-properties and manage and have a look there i think you can find the solution there.