Thread: I forgot windows password,how can I reset it?

ThumbsUp I forgot windows password,how can I reset it?

Many times we face this problem when we or our friends forget Windows XP password and can't log into Windows. So here we are posting a few methods / utilities which can be used to reset Windows password:

1rd Method:
    Try following trick which is actually a loophole in Windows XP Setup and a big security hole:

A. Boot using Windows XP Setup CD and follow the instruction like Accepting EULA, etc.

B. When it asks to repair your existing Windows installation, accept it and press "R" to run the repair.

C. Setup will start repairing your Windows and will start copying files, etc.

D. After a few minutes setup will restart your system and when it restarts don't press any key when it shows "Press any key to continue..." otherwise Setup will start from the beginning. Don't press any key and setup will resume where it left.

E. Now it'll start doing other tasks and will show a small progressbar with a few details in left side.

F. Look carefully at the details and when it shows "Installing devices", press <Shift>+F10 keys in your keyboard.

G. It'll open a Command Prompt window. Now type nusrmgr.cpl and press <Enter>.

H. It'll open the same "User Accounts" window which you see in Control Panel.

I. Now you can remove or reset any account password without any problem.
    Last edited by rupesh; 23-10-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: External Link Removed

Re: I forgot windows password,how can I reset it?

There are a couple of free utilities on the internet that let you get back in your system without a sweat (or almost). Start system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press <ctrl>+<alt>+<del> keys twice and it'll show Classic Login box. Now type "Administrator" (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows. Now you can reset your account password from "Control Panel --> User Accounts". Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen. Another way is to open your cpu and open your CMOS and hold for 5 minutes then again put the CMOS and start the machine .

Help, ive now screwed up Major, as i have locked up my Win XP sp3 machine, and ,sadly ive used the above mentioned way, To fix the problem on two occassions,It worked with out a flaw??,My problem is i dont have the orig,instructions anymore any one have any clues as to the continued things i need to do after resetting my password through this back door,I think there was a couple or more steps that must also be followed to allow windows to finish up with what it thinks it was honestly doing ,(During this so called Repair session)?? ha/ha,Please email me at once of you know or have these orig instructions as i remember them being, just a tiny bit more detailed in the remaining procedures to excute this Shift 10 hole??, Sincerely Dr.Thomas Bush Ph,.d (Please my email is teltom_51@msn.com) I would be very happy, if anyone who knows this Complete story dont wait to email me if yoiu dont mind, Thanks in advance i look foward to a reply,Dr Thomas
    Last edited by teltom1; 01-05-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: my spelling sucks at times of stress like now ??

unsure Re: I forgot windows password,how can I reset it?

Help ,Help, Ive done the very worst i imagined ,That i would never never do repeat again.??Ive locked myself out in WIN XP sp3,and cant open up windows to fix password, ive read the fix posted on how to use orig winxp disk and pretend to be doing a repair and as it continues to load files,you hit Shft F-10 when windows starts ""Installing Devices"", Then it opens a command prompt and you are allowed to act if you are logged in and change it from the control panel,after you hit Shift F-10 and the window opens up you type in (nusrmgr.cpl and hit enter,)and that is all i remember,and the post i used many yrs ago isnt with me anymore,?? And im unable to figure -out or, recall how or, what else has to be done and followed during windows ,as it finishes up the repair after you reset ur password,any help would be a blessing im lost and xp less at the moment,so i greatly would be thrilled to get a response to this msg ,Thank You in advance,Dr Thomas Bush

my direct email is (teltom_51@msn.com) Thanks everyone

Hi teltom1,

There is a hidden admin account in Windows XP and you can log into it to change or remove all the other passwords of your computer without knowing the previous password. Just restart your computer and toggle the F5 button. You will get screen that will ask you if you want to boot with command prompt, choose it and then type net user, then press enter
    # Then again type "Net user [Username of the Account]*" then press Enter, without the ["], and quotes. Make sure you spell the username correctly, and you have the '*'
    # To change password press enter and after that tieler south * Reset password to what ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by windowsdoctorpc View Post
    Many times we face this problem when we or our friends forget Windows XP password and can't log into Windows. So here we are posting a few methods / utilities which can be used to reset Windows password:

1rd Method:
    Try following trick which is actually a loophole in Windows XP Setup and a big security hole:

A. Boot using Windows XP Setup CD and follow the instruction like Accepting EULA, etc.

B. When it asks to repair your existing Windows installation, accept it and press "R" to run the repair.

C. Setup will start repairing your Windows and will start copying files, etc.

D. After a few minutes setup will restart your system and when it restarts don't press any key when it shows "Press any key to continue..." otherwise Setup will start from the beginning. Don't press any key and setup will resume where it left.

E. Now it'll start doing other tasks and will show a small progressbar with a few details in left side.

F. Look carefully at the details and when it shows "Installing devices", press <Shift>+F10 keys in your keyboard.

G. It'll open a Command Prompt window. Now type nusrmgr.cpl and press <Enter>.

H. It'll open the same "User Accounts" window which you see in Control Panel.

I. Now you can remove or reset any account password without any problem.
    Hey , ive read and re-read your message several more times, Ive used that procedure myself twice already,But sadly as this sounds, i didnt archive the paper, or print and stash it as i most certainly should have,(shame me)""".Well i was sure praying that someone or perhaps yourself might see my panic strickn post,s,and refer me to ther rest of the surgey,what to do after i reset the admin pass, due i allow windows to continue on w/repairs or,eject disk and reboot mach,and log in w/newly gained pass vouchers??,Well i must soon check in for my work and fix the really sick cases,(as myown??),Thanks to all,hope to check back tonight and see if this or anything similar has been updated to the end??,Sincerely Dr.Thomas Bush,Thank you all in advance for any input you may have to offer""""