Thread: Need DVD Driver for Toshiba Satellite L40 17U laptop.

Need DVD Driver for Toshiba Satellite L40 17U laptop.

Hi I am using Toshiba Satellite L40 17U laptop from a while now. Yesterday when I tried to view videos store in my DVD disk by inserting it inside the DVD/CD ROM drive, I came to know that it is not working. So I just went to the Device Manager and tried to figure out what is the matter. I saw a yellow exclamation mark on my DVD-RW DVR-K17A ATA Device. On right clicking it and checking the properties the following message is prompted: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" So wanted to know where I can find the appropriate drivers for my DVD/CD drive.

Re: Need DVD Driver for Toshiba Satellite L40 17U laptop.

In Windows XP, you can troubleshoot the problem of missing drive by applying the following method.
    • Click on the start button and go to the Control Panel.
    • Now click on “System and Maintenance” and then on “System.”
    • You can reach the same window by right clicking the My Computer icon and clicking on the Properties option.
    • Click on the Hardware tab, and then click on the “Device Manager” button.
    • Now scroll to the DVD/CD-ROM drives and expand it by clicking on the + sign.
    • Right-click the CD and DVD (DVD-RW DVR-K17A ATA) Device, and then select Uninstall.
    • Restart your laptop and your laptop will automatically detect the changes and will automatically reinstall all the drivers after restart.

For users who are using Windows Vista and Windows 7, the following steps should be done to install the DVD driver back to your laptop.
    1. Click on the Start button for Windows Vista or the Windows orb for Windows 7.
    2. Type Device manager in the text field of search box and then click on the result to start Device Manager.
    3. On device manager window, you have to expand the “DVD/CD-ROM drives” by clicking on the + sign on the side of the drives name.
    4. Now uninstall the CD/DVD device by right-clicking on the CD and DVD devices and Click the “Uninstall” option.
    5. Restartyour laptop.
    6. The moment you restarted your laptop, the drivers will be automatically installed.

Code 39 for an optical drive is due to corrupted registry entry. The problem can also arise because of some CD/DVD driver issues. The problem can be solved either by editing the registry entries in Windows Vista and Windows XP. In Windows 7 you can solve the problem with the use of in-built troubleshooter (Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs troubleshooter). But you should always remember that changing or deleting some wrong registry entry can result into many problems, so it is better you backup your registry.

Windows XP users should follow the below steps to edit registry file and solve the issue.
    • Go to Start > Run and type "regedit" on the text field and hit the OK button.
    • Registry Editor Window will appear. Now go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} .
    • Look for UpperFilters option on the right pane. Delete it by right clicking on UpperFilters and selecting delete option. Click Ok button to confirm the changes.
    • If UpperFilters is missing then LowerFilters registry file will be present. Delete it then.
    • Close the Registry editor and restart your computer.

Windows vista user also has to follow the same steps as for Windows XP user except that the Vista user will open registry Editor by doing the following:
    • Click on start button and typing "regedit" on the search box and then executing the regedit.exe file shown in the search result.

“Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs troubleshooter” can successfully resolve the problem of missing CD/DVD drive on your Windows 7.
    1. Click the Windows Orb (Start button)
    2. On the text field of the search box, type Troubleshooting.
    3. Search Result will appear. Left click and select “View All” option.
    4. Scroll and click on “Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs”.
    5. If still you are not able to solve your problem, then I assume the problem is within the computer’s hardware and thus you can try “Hardware and Devices troubleshooter”. It will check all the problems related to your hardware and will make sure to tell you whether your CD/DVD drive is installed properly or not.
    6. If this method doesn’t work, it might be possible that the problem exists inside your computer’s hardware. You can make use of “Hardware and Devices troubleshooter”. It checks all the hardware issues and confirms that your CD/DVD drive is installed correctly or not.
    7. Follow the above step 1 and 2
    8. Click on “Hardware and Sound” setting
    9. Select “Configure a device”. When prompted for confirmation, confirm it by clicking on “Yes”.
    10. Restart your laptop and check whether the drive is installed or not. You can check by clicking on Windows Orb, followed by “Computer”. The problem is solved if you can see the drive in the list.