Thread: MS Access to MySQL

MS Access to MySQL

I am, by far and away, the major MySQL newbie yet. The situation currently is: One server with the .mdb file, and the clients every have access installed. It works, just about. The major problems are that manifold users cannot, truly, access the database at the similar, even if they are editing split records. What the database involves is a table with quite a lot of columns of data, I have obtained it into an SQL format, and I can attach to the SQL database on my localhost (In the genuine implementation it would be a local server), I guess I require to then study PHP to improvise a webpage that can inquiry the database, with consents based on who you log in as?

Re: MS Access to MySQL

You can set up the level of consents based on users (e.g. set up user accounts with separate rights for a variety of tables) within MySQL, and after that tie those to php pages/logins. Php is a simple way to query and exhibit the information, but it's not the just way. Remember if you are appearing to serve the pages inside with the SBS2008 server, you will necessitate installing and configuring PHP. You could utilize rather like EasyPHP to provide you a onetime typical install of MySQL, PHP and Apache on the server, but you might need to look at how it would interfere with IIS.

A bit more on the advanced side of things - Zend framework. If you are going to utilize PHP, begin by utilizing it right- Look into object oriented notions, MVC (Model View Control) intend techniques. With Zend you can improvise a database "CRUD" page in minutes by means of Zend DB/Zend Auth/Zend ACL. The whole thing is well recognized with instances, and there’s a 100 or so fraction series on using Zend as a podcast, they as well offer project code so you could in theory exercise one of theirs as a base.

Here I wish to add something in this case. There’s a million and two ways to construct a frontend for PHP, even Ruby on Rails might be a choice, although my knowledge with that is extremely incomplete. I know many people who like it though. On the whole, one time you wrapped your head around PHP, php.net has a few luminous documentation of each single function and as its crowd commented, this frequently offers good instances.

Later than much reflection, I determined an application would be superior, as the majority of the other people in the office stared vacantly while I recommended a webpage on the intranet, but understood the notion of an application. I have hooked C# up to the MySQL database, which all works well, however. I am stressed to exercises how to make C# run a query based on what is chosen in the drop down list (Which inhabited from MySQL). So if I were to choose Customer 1 which occurs to be ID 2, how would I after that get the rest of the information to display?

To be truthful with you, if you are going to utilize C# you are much better utilizing SQL Express- the free edition of SQL. The cause for this is the MySQL .net connector - it’s just not as fine as the SQL native connector. You will as well be able to utilize the Visual Studio tools for designing and interrelating with the SQL database straight and you will just normally discover less resistance from the environment because you are doing it the way Microsoft wish you to. You either necessitates to look into Transactions or build a vital system of locks which stop your code interacting with a database record even as it’s in use.